Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take my 9 1/2 ds and my 6 1/2 and 8 1/2 yo dds along with me when my 38 mo ds has OT and ST.

Today we will be there for an hour versus 30 minutes. We go on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

We made fabric lunch bags for the girls to bring a drink and snack from home. Otherwise they play with the toys in the waiting room as well as the other children there.

Should I bring the children in with me? I have always felt that they might attract my youngest's attention and he won't participate. That being said the therapist says they are welcome.

*Sometimes the children in the waiting room are a little rough; they don't mean to be and there is a girl my children love to play with.

**Sometimes my MIL babysits them but very very rarely. My mom lives in another state.

All thoughts welcome.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 38 mos

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey Debra:

I have to bring my 20 month old to ST appointments..there is not a choice for me..she manages pretty well, though it is only a 30 minute appointment. I say bring enough to entertain them and ask at the appointments how they feel about you bringing the others?

Hugs,

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
When dd was a toddler, I often had to bring the older two with me to therapy appointments. Sometimes the therapist would include them in the session, and sometimes we'd sit outside in the waiting area and play/color/chat. Now dd has all her therapies at school, but the older ones sometimes are around during the summer when she works with the therapists. I figure that this affects them, too, and they have learned a lot about ways to play with her, what she likes to do, why she has trouble with some stuff -- it's really been a positive thing, I think.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They did great! At first they stayed in the waiting room and played and then they went to the kitchen for their drink & snack. When it was time to go they were surprised at how fast the time went!

*It helps that OT is before ST so both therapists keep to 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My mom used to take my cousins to all my ot and pt when she was watching them. For me it helped to have them there when things got to painful for me my cousins would hold my hand. sorry if I got offtopic

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took Big Sister to therapy appointments and doctor appointments for the twins when they were in PT, ST, ET (eating), and developmental pedi visits. I wouldn't think of not taking her, actually. I wanted her to see what was going on, and participate if allowed (she was always welcome). She was a great "helper" as much as a 3-year-old could be (she would help direct the twins, get them to talk, etc.).

·
Registered
322 Posts
regular weekly appointments I do take the other kids too. Trying to find sitters that often is near impossible and typically those appointments do have fun waiting rooms. Often my other kids want to go even when given the option not too like at music therapy. Heck, new toys!

If it is an office without toys, I typically bring something to entertain them. Books, etc. If the waiting room is not kid friendly and the the kid is ok and in for a while, I will take the others outside for a walk or to a nearby park. This is usually with thier play therapist who I have known for over 2 years now. She just moved offices. There is a playground right near it and Mike is ok in there with his budy without me, but this is the first time I have done that.

For doc appointments, I don't take the other kids. Typically I have to go in as well and be able to listen and answer questions. That is too hard with all the kids. Plus mine are getting old enough there are things I don't neccessarily want to say in front of the other kids, KWIM?

Renee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.