Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I will be pulling my kids out of school next week.  They are soo happy :)  I'm expecting the family backlash, I'm worried about the financial aspect, and I feel a bit out of my element, yet.....I am so happy too!  I've always wanted to home school and I am going for it.  I feel liberated and empowered.  Any words of advice from other single home schooling moms would be greatly appreciated!</p>

·
Registered
707 Posts
<p>It was the BEST. THING. EVER. for our family. My advice is to not think too much about it, just do it, and everything will fall into place.</p>

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
<p>We are more unschoolers than homeschoolers.  Mostly I worry about the financial aspects.  We are still under the temporary order, and so my ex is paying for most everything.  I haven't found a job yet- we seem to keep having family crisis after crisis (none of which are of my making but which take up most of my time).   My best advice as a homeschooler is to get rid of your television and video games.  Pretty much everything else kids do is educational- even make believe games.  I don't really find single homeschooling harder than homeschooling in an unhappy marriage.  Easier actually, because we can leave big projects lying about, and have sandwiches for dinner when we get involved with something or other.</p>

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>I'm so glad to know that their is a great support network here.  I am very excited to have them home again and will do whatever it takes to make this work.</p>

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
<p>We're in our second year of homeschooling (our amazing unschooly charter closed in '09) and, though it's incredibly hard to balance having the kids full-time at home (aside from their visits with their dad) with working from home. We are going through a homeschool charter which is fairly unschooler-friendly, so we get funding for classes and supplies, but I'm still trying to get into a groove with keeping track of their learning and such.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>While I would definitely put them in school if we found one that meets their needs like our old one did, but those types of schools don't seem to exist around here so homeschooling seems to be the best option for us. We have a great homeschooling community around here and the boys really love it. If I can get enough work done to get the bills paid (I'm a freelance designer/seamstress), then I can see doing this through high school if that's what they want.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts