Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm knitting a shawl with some very fine yarn (#2) that's part mohair. (Patons Lacette, to be specific.) Things were going great... it's a SUPER easy pattern -- all garter stitch with basic increases and decreases on size 13 needles. It felt like knitting air, and looked just beautiful.

Then I noticed a dropped stitch, oh, about 100+ rows back.
My usual solution to this problem has been to rip the whole thing out and start over again - yep, I'm scared of dropped stitches.

Well, the thought of trying to undo mohair isn't very thrilling. It's too 'sticky', you know? So I challenged myself to learn how to fix it... and it worked. Slowly. And first I learned that in garter stitch you have to work on alternating sides of the fabric to fix things... of course.

I proudly laid out my fixed piece and saw TWO MORE dropped stitches!! Fixed those with not such a good attitude last night.

Then I found TWO MORE!

I just can't face it.

I don't know why I'm dropping so many... I guess the stitches just kind of stick to each other and sneak off the needle.

Oh, help.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
can't help you on the ones already dropped - but I'd suggest putting in a "lifeline" every 5-10 rows or so. You basically just run a length of contrasting yarn throught he stitches on the needles, so that if you drop a stitch it won't drop further than the lifeline (so, you'd only have to ladder a stitch back up a few rows, from the last lifeline)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm loath to do do anything over... can you use a needle and thread to stop the run, and then tighten up the other stitches using a crochet hook?

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I frogged a lacy scarf made of $25/ball cashmere and mohair a couple of times before I put the yarn in the drawer and tossed the pattern.
That's good advice about using a lifeline. Have a nice glass of wine, fix the dropped sts, and try a lifeline. And be so proud of yourself.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I knew this was the place to cry it out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
I'd suggest putting in a "lifeline" every 5-10 rows or so.
That will be my new method. Maybe every 3 rows, the way the stitches are falling away from me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by texmati View Post
can you use a needle and thread to stop the run, and then tighten up the other stitches using a crochet hook?
I'm considering something like that... fixing the dropped stitch up to the point that the other stitches are tight around it, then sewing it into place. I'll decide for sure after I can look at it calmly again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
Have a nice glass of wine, fix the dropped sts, and try a lifeline. And be so proud of yourself.
Well, thanks... for the hug and the beverage advice.
I will finish this someday...

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest stitch markers. If you have one every 10 stitches, then it will be easy to see when there are not enough stitches between the markers and you'll notice on the next row or two instead of 100 later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.