Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm applying for a job at a publishing company in Danbury, CT and I know nothing about the area. A preliminary Craigslist search yields rents twice what I'd expect in Eugene (~$1200 for a 2-bedroom apartment! yikes!), and a preliminary googlemaps search says there's a Trader Joe's and a few natural foods stores, but that doesn't give an overall view of what it's like to live there. Are there nearby towns (I'm talking less than 20 minutes commute) that are significantly less expensive & not horribly dangerous? What about daycare & such - we'd have to be dual-income if my income is coming from being an editorial assistant (read: glorified paid intern); my husband has experience in tech, business, sales, finance, and broadcast media. What's the job market like out there? Keeping in mind we only have one car (and even if we bought a second one the current car would NOT survive a cross-country excursion), what's the transportation system like out there? Cultural attitudes about mixed couples (I'm white, he's hispanic)? From the outside we look fairly mainstream so I'm not too worried about discrimination for doing what we do re: the babe, but do I need to carry license to breastfeed cards with me for the first time ever? Also: birth situations. We're considering trying for #2 in the next year and I want a homebirth (still have to get George on that train). How are the midwives out there? Is homebirth legal with a m/w? Have you had any troubles getting insurance to cover it?

I tend to overthink, but it's better than going in blind, IMO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think that you mean Danbury, CT. I'm not too familiar with the area, I live about an hour away from there on the shoreline. But, I wanted to share what I do know about the state in general. The job market is pretty competitive; that's really awesome that you got an editorial job because those are pretty hard to come by here. Before I became a SAHM I was a reporter who wrote for a community weekly but I wanted to work for a publishing company and I applied to every job I possibly could in the state before I got my reporter gig and got like two responses back. So, congrats to you!

Regarding birth; homebirths are legal in CT, I had a hospital birth but used midwives at Birth and Beyond in Madison, CT. They do mainly home births, I was one of the "freaks" that had a hospital birth!!

Anyway, another alternative is to use the Danbury Birth Center--it's the only freestanding birth center in the state and I'm planning on using it with my next child.

Anyway, I don't think that I helped you much but I gave it a try!

Good luck and for the record I LOVE CT. It's so cool that you can get to everything in the state in about 2 1/2 hours from wherever you are. PLUS you get the best of everything. The country, the shore, the 'burbs, the city...I really love it here!

Nichole

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Well, my aunt lives in Danbury, and my oldest sister lives in Eugene. Housing costs are definitely more in CT than OR. I don't know much about the birth scene there since my cousins who live near there were all born in hospitals...the rest of my family isn't nearly as crunchy as those of us who live in MA. I always just go to the natural foods section of Super Stop & Shop when I visit.
I hope your move goes well!

- Krista

·
Registered
231 Posts
I live in a neighboring town, 10 minutes from the Birth Center and Danbury Hospital. The Danbury LLL meetings are held in the Birth Center - both day and evening meetings, and the women are, as you'd expect, great :)

I had a home birth with my second with Birth and Beyond - the midwives mentioned in the previous poster's thread. Couldn't recommend them more. My birth was covered by insurance. There's another midwife based in NY who will also do homebirths in this area, so you'd have a choice.

I don't think that you'd feel awkward as a mixed couple, and daycare shouldn't be too tough to find. Transportation isn't the easiest without two cars, but that would really depend on where both of you ended up working.

Good luck! Let us know if you decide to make the move.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hate to break it to you but Danbury is one of the least expensive housing towns around Danbury. But you could look in Bethel.
Trader Joes is great, there are a few good choices as far as Health food and coops.
The birthing center is great, had all three ofmine there. Homebirth midwives, we have a few and some really fantastic ones.

It is a great place to live! Lots of farms, organic andnot. Even a Waldorf school in nearby Newtown.

Mixed couple, no problem, my dh is Irish(from there) and I am Puerto Ricanand we live in one of the ritsy towns nearby and we get no problems, its cool and even with my crunchiness, no prob.

Good luck!
BTW, we have a few families at our Waldorf school fromEugene.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.