Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dd is scheduled to have ear tubes placed and her adenoids removed this week. The surgery was originally scheduled in the fall, but because she was sick most of fall/winter/early spring, we've finally gotten around to it. The thing is, dh and I don't know if we really want to do it, or if we should. We both feel like the dr's are pushing the surgery and we're feeling pretty conflicted. Here's the run-down on our thoughts:

* Dd is totally blind, so hearing is crucial. Messing with her eardrums feels wrong, and I'm afraid scar tissue could impact her hearing (don't know if this is even true?). OTOH, if she has repeated infections, that could hamper her hearing as well.
* The theory behind removing the adenoids is that it will decrease her chronic sinus infections, which often turn into respiratory infections/pneumonia. She had an ng tube for over a year (very bad idea!!) and has lots of sinus damage from that. Dh and I agree with the theory here, but worry about complications (bleeding mostly).
* Dd is doing well right now. She's happy, feeling well, and developing well. She has undergone lots of testing lately for kidney issues (see other post), and has been a real trooper. We both HATE the idea of putting her through surgery/hospitalization when she's doing so well -- BUT we dont' want to kick ourselves later if she has another rough winter, kwim?
* We're currently dealing with both new kidney issues and a new infusion treatment (IgG) to boost her immune function. Don't know if doing all this together makes sense?

We know the decision is ours, but we also know we need more info to make a good decision. Anyone been through this procedure? Pros? Cons?
:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi, beth,
i am new to the SN forum. i have beenr following your other post about your dd's kidney issues, and am hoping that all turns out well.

i had multiple sets of PE (pressure equalization) tubes when i was a child, i also had my adenoids out around the age of 6. i recall feeling queasy and vomiting after the surgery (because my mother insisted they give me icecream against medical recommendations-and they did). other than that i don't recall too much.

i, of course, must add that my immune system and health in general were not too compromized (other than breathing in heavy second-hand smoke all the time
) i had had a significant conductive hearing loss as a result of multiple (chronic) ear infections with effusion. the tubes really helped that, and my hearing returned to normal. i do have scar tissue (new doctors often comment when they look at my eardrums), but i don't *think* it's realy had a negative impact on my hearing.

of course, having the tubes also meant i had to be very careful in the bathtub and shower, which was only a challenge until we actually remembered to put earplugs in.

should your dd's tubes fall out, it usually is a very quick procedure to get them replaced, but, yes, it is a minor surgery.

speaking from the position of rememberingi how awful sinus infections and earaches felt, and how things sounded garbled to me, i am glad my mother decided to have to the tubes in so i could hear better and not endure that pain.

your dd's situation is different, obviously, so i am not sure if this was worth much. i would say get information and then go with your gut, mama!

·
Registered
328 Posts
At 30 months, my son had his tonsils and adenoids removed. He was previously scheduled for ear tubes due to hearing loss and chronic infections, but by the time the surgery date arrived, he had been well for quite a while, and his language was progressing well. We opted to wait and see, and now it's clear he didn't need the tubes and I'm quite relieved I spared him.

The removal of the tonsils and adenoids however, have made a HUGE difference in his quality of life. He was constantly ill with infections, and since he is a former preemie with chronic lung issues, they frequently went into respiratory complications. He barely could gain weight, moving from illness to illness. Since his surgery he has been well, unlike any other time in his life. He no longer has sleep apnea, is growing like a weed, and has had no sickness. I'm very glad he had the surgery, and would definitely say it was needed.

-Kimberly

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I had both done. No problems, but the adenoid tissue does tend to grow back. I apparently have adenoids now as an adult. Weird.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Does she have any palate issues? I know that removal of adnoids is contraindicated in palate or suspected palate, swallow issues. I was wondering because you said ng tube for a year. (Did she have a tongue tie or any other mouth anomalies?)

Is she getting infections in her ears? I wouldn't do the tubes unless she was getting infections. I would probably consider tonsil-removal if they are causing infections.

Do not let any surgeon pressure you into making a decision that is not a life-saving measure. Take your time. Deal with what you can when you can if you can. Does that make sense?

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmama
I had both done. No problems, but the adenoid tissue does tend to grow back. I apparently have adenoids now as an adult. Weird.
:

The tubes and surgery totally made a difference in my life. I went from spending significant amounts of time at the ENT doc, *always* being on antibiotics, etc., to being a very healthy child.

Everyone I know IRL who has done the tubes for their child has been happy they did it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Beth,
My Zobey got tubes at 20 months old. I will regret that for the rest of my life. She is one of the rare cases that somnething went wrong. One ear was left scarred and the other was permanently perferated. Her hearing loss was moderate to severe .She wore earplugs for 5 years. In April, Zobey had a typanoplasty (eardrum reconstruction) done on the perforated ear. We had to wait until she was old enough that her ear infections were no longer- and that she would be mentally prepared to be OK with the surgery. It was incredibly painful for her. The skin graft was taken form behind the ear on the hairline (not a big deal- left a little scar). The pain was in the ear. She had codeine for days- and we used "hot hands heat packs" in a knee high length sock tied around her ear to ease the pain. She had that 3 months ago and she is still healing. The scab is still on her eardrum as of last week. Her dr. said it will still take several months to know if the surgery worked. I believe that I should have waited it out- she still had ear infections after the tubes. And her hearing loss was still an issue.

In addition to that, My Zeda- on the same day had her adenoids out. They were extremely enlarged, she had apnea issues and the child was a zombie every day from lack of a true nights sleep. I now have a happy (healthier too) child. I struggled with whether or not to go through with her surgery- but I felt it was best- and Im glad it was. She sleeps and breathes much better after having her adenoidectomy. Might I mention that after surgery, she was fine- except for me needing to restrict her diet- this is very important. She snuck a cracker and it hurt her very badly in her throat. Luckily, she stuck to her diet after that. We learned codeine does not make Zeda sleep, she ran around the house jumping from table, couch- bed- wildly until she passed out cold 5 hours later..... never will I give her codeine....

My other thoughts are this: Zeda is a big strong high spirited girl who heals quickly. Zobey is very thin, not so strong, very sensitive and emotional- doesnt heal so quickly. Look at your child outside of a mommy's eyes in those aspects.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oh!!! And most importantly, find out your doctors history- successes and negataive points. I also recommend having these things doen at a children's hospital- we took the tour a few days before. They showed the girls the operating room, the mask, gown, the chapstick that they flavior the anestesia with- they picked whatever flavor they wanted, drove a motorized vehicle to the operating room, the dr.'s wore fun outfits- it was overall a wonderful day with the exception of zobey's pain. They let each of us take a child in to administer the sleep gas- which wasnt so easy for me to see- and I asked that they extubated the tube before we came into recovery- it's just not something I was prepared to see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son had tubes inserted when he was 14 months old. Prior to the surgery, he couldn't even say mama or dada. He had had chronic ear infections from six months old on, often lasting months with no relief from antibiotics, decongestants, anything. His eardrums had ruptured from the pressure, too. After the surgery, he cried for hours because the noise was overwhelming - he hadn't heard more than a quiet muffled sound for eight months! He was talking within two weeks. Yes, we had to be careful around water, but the benefit was that when he got ear infections with tubes in, instead of oral antibiotics, we were able to give him antibiotic drops in his ears which would take care of the infection in two days rather than two weeks of systemic treatment. His tubes fell out when he was three and he's had only two infections since. Over all, absolutely worth it. Good luck and I hope it helps your ds.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update --

We decided to go through with the surgery, and I think it was the right decision. She did have fluid in both ears, so I feel good about doing the tubes. And while her adenoids were not enlarged, the surgeon felt that removing them could still have a positive effect on the sinus infection/respiratory infections that she's suffered with in the past. It's been two days, and dd is feeling fine. She didn't even need any pain meds at all post-op!

Thanks for all your input!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Juliana had several (maybe 15?) back to back infections in both ears, is that a myth about ebf babies? im not sure but, when she was just 10 months old we went ahead and did the tubes as her hearing was suffering incredibly..her moronic ped. doctor wanted her on "daily antibiotics" The ENT said tubes would eliminate that... so tubes it was, she had otis media with effusion, chronic middle ear fluid. So long story short. fast forward to the age of 3 years 2months and were havent had one infection since the tubes were in, at her 3 year old check up the pedi said OH, theres a hole in this eardrum, back to the ENT you go, so we went,
: The ENT tells me Oh.. this happens in only 1% of cases, the right drum has a really large hole in it. and the left one its hard to see, because the tube is loged in a really large ball of wax-so the next day I take her for her hearing test and they tell me both ear drums are preforated and she has moderate hearing loss, her ear drums may heal themselves and if not lets wait until shes 7 or 8 to do the operation. Im SCARED [email protected]! So i have an appt with a naturopath on 9/5 to see what he can do to help us, maybe there is something she can take to help heal faster. and the earplugs she has to wear in the pool and tub/shower constantly fall out. Overall. Id say having the tubes helped so much, but in this "rare case" it left some damage.
good luck with your childs ears

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
My dd had the ear tubes but did not have adenoids removed. The ear tubes really helped her. She had a lot less infections and was able to hear better and her mood improved drastically.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alisonsvw
I take her for her hearing test and they tell me both ear drums are preforated and she has moderate hearing loss, her ear drums may heal themselves and if not lets wait until shes 7 or 8 to do the operation. Im SCARED [email protected]! So i have an appt with a naturopath on 9/5 to see what he can do to help us, maybe there is something she can take to help heal faster. and the earplugs she has to wear in the pool and tub/shower constantly fall out. Overall. Id say having the tubes helped so much, but in this "rare case" it left some damage.
good luck with your childs ears

I just wanted to reassure you that your dd's hearing will probably be fine once the holes are repaired. My dd just went to the ENT and got her hearing tested. The person doing the test put some things in her ears and we were supposed to see a "hill" not a "meadow." Well there was one "meadow" which showed some hearing loss. Turns out, after worrying about it for a few minutes, that when a child has tubes in their ears or holes that test is not very accurate and you will always get a "meadow." Her other ear where the tube had fallen out showed the "hill." So then she was given a more detailed hearing test and she was fine. I just wanted to share this with you in case you had a similar experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.