Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are working on a night time dipe solution for ds who is almost 11 months. He sleeps 11 or 12 hours at night and wets alot.

Currently I have him in a homemade suedecloth/microfleece pocket (his skin stays much better this way)refold (17") we either double with microfiber towels or an infant(14") prefold.

Over this I put a BSWW. I'd like to switch to wool in the near future.

This is working fine. He is very bulky but seems comfy.

I am curious about hemp. I like cotton because it doesn't stink in the AM (Microfiber was nice for trimness, but stinky in the AM)

Is hemp really that much more absorbant to be worth it, like I might not need the doubler if I used a hemp prefold? Does hemp have more stink problems than cotton?

Also, someone posted a while back that hemp might need to be wrapped or combined with something else as hemp as different absorbancy than cotton?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Collin also sleeps between 10 and 12 hrs at night, and is a pretty heavy wetter. We use the Little Beetle Hemps with the hemp doubler (slips under the sewn in hemp insert) at night and either homemade crocheted wool longies or Babyology longies. He has never leaked wetness onto the bed with the Babyology, but occasionally has with the pair I crocheted.

The LB's did start to stink after a while - just like my Microfiber FB inserts, but I just boil them on the stove and they are stink free for a while again. I boil my inserts too, and the stink goes away. I've had stink issues with all my diapers - cotton, hemp, you name it. Boiling always works though.

I have also heard the absorbancy is different, but the LB's are 100% hemp (I think anyway), and they work fine. If you prefer the fleece on baby's bum, you could try the Happy Heiny Hempys. I didn't like the fit though on my skinny boy. Plus, you still have to stuff them with something, but you could use a wool cover over it.

Since I don't have much wool, we still mostly use a FB stuffed with a 1 MF and 1 hemp insert. This has worked well for us too - maybe 3-4 times in 2 mos he's woken up wet. I can live with that - esp. since he would wake wet at least as often in a sposie.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.