Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my loss in September, I asked my OB about low progesterone, since over the past couple of years, I've been having shorter cycles (24-25 days) and spotting during my LP. My loss was a blighted ovum, so it's unlikely that progesterone was a factor in my m/c, but I'd never had it tested -- never had a reason to -- and was curious if maybe I should be. He agreed and wrote me out a slip to test on my next CD21.

I got the results back today and sure enough, my progesterone is low -- 8.5. Apparently he likes to see it at around 11 or 12. So I believe that means I will now be supplementing in the 2nd half of my cycles. Does that sound right?

For those of you who have been down this road, tell me more about it, please. What kind of supplement did you take? Did it have any side effects? Did it work for you, and if so, how did you know it was working? Does it take more than one cycle to be effective? Are there any other ways, besides drug supplementation, to increase progesterone levels? Does this mean that if I conceive again, I will need to stay on the supplements through my pg? Have I asked enough questions yet, lol?

Thanks in advance -- my gut feeling tells me that this is a new problem for me since the birth of my last child in 2006. Could it also have to do with age? I just turned 37 this past weekend.

Guin

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Guin, as we start heading toward the dreaded menopause, hormones do become erratic. Stress can also suppress progesterone production and cause hormones to be imbalanced.

I had 2 progesterone tests done this summer. I went from 21 (good) to 3 (bad bad bad) in 48 hrs! So, what my RE has me doing is supplementing my luteal phase with HCG injections. Then when I get a BFP I'll start progesterone injections - probably 2x/week.

I hope you find your answers.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I will share what I know. I had "low progesterone" and a super-short luteal phase but it was actually caused by an underlying thyroid problem. When I started treating my thyroid issues my luteal phase (and presumably progesterone) went back to normal. I did not actually take progesterone, but I came close.

My RE gave me vaginal suppositories. If I had taken them, I would have had to take them for the whole first trimester of my pregnancy. I think that's pretty standard. Yes, you should take them for the second half of your cycle. If you can determine when you ovulate, you should only take the progesterone after ovulation--taking it before ovulation can stop ovulation. It will be effective immediately. If you have had a short luteal phase (as opposed to just early ovulation) it should lengthen immediately. In fact, you are unlikely to get AF until you stop taking the progesterone, so you should be prepared to take a pregnancy test every cycle before you stop the progesterone.

A lot of OBs/REs say that luteal phase problems are actually caused by problems with ovulation. I don't know if it's true, but if progesterone supplementation doesn't work for you, apparently fertility drugs are another option.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yes, one perspective on infertility or RPL, is that the 1st 1/2 of the cycle drives the entire cycle and therefore viable pregnancy. My OB said that if you ovulate, you WILL have a long enough luteal phase. A true LPD is supposedly quite rare. I only chart when I'm TTC, so every cycle on my chart except for 1 post-mc cycle lead to conception or clearly showed O w/long enough LP (thanks to HCG injections, perhaps). So, I dunno.

My TSH # has been just fine 1.3 slightly on the low side of normal, but I exhibit more characteristics of someone who is hypothyroid. I've thought about going to see a ND for more thorough analysis.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, ladies. I actually don't think my LP is short -- based on when I have O symptoms (and when I have temped in the past, when I have noticed the thermal shift), my LP is actually nice and long -- 12-13 days, on average. I've had my thyroid tested, too, since I was having a lot of hypo symptoms last spring, but it came back normal, turned out I had developed chronic hyptertension instead, fun, fun!

My OB is supposed to call me today to discuss the progesterone levels situation. I've never had trouble with ovulating before (that I know of), but since I'm not temping and OPKs aren't giving me any +s these days, I'm really not sure that I've been ovulating since the m/c. Sigh. I really wanted to conceive without temping, b/c it makes me even more neurotic than usual, but it sounds like I'm going to have to, anyway, if I'm put on supplements, so I know when to start taking them. And then needing to take a pg test every cycle to know when to stop them? Guess I'd better get moving and order some in-bulk online, huh?

Guin

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i dont have alot of experience but I did just read that you need to be taking the supplements right after O to be affective.
My DR gave them to me at 6 weeks pregnant and I read that most Drs do this just to make the patient feel at ease and that in most cases it doesnt help at all because its after the point of needing it.. HTH alittle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.