Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the healthiest material for a child's mattress? I can't afford to go the organic route.

·
Registered
371 Posts
we mattress wrapped a normal mattress. i hate how loud the plastic is. but it prevents the chemical fog of the mattress

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with Ikea (had to act fast for upcoming visitors). They have good policies about not using chemicals in their mattresses. They're not perfect but seem the next best thing to a very expensive option. If you're in Canada, you can get even less toxic mattresses at Ikea because the country does not mandate that mattresses be fire retardant. In the U.S., Ikea uses a fire retardant that is less toxic than most mattress companies use.<br><br>
The other viable option I came across was using a futon mattress that you can get specially made.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are you sure you can't afford a healthier option? I actually just started researching mattresses and was able to find a chemical free cotton and wool innerspring mattress and a natural latex mattress for less than comparable chemical laden ones. Of course, I'm looking at buying a king-sized mattress, I don't know if you could find that in child sizes.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
have you checked to see if local stores near you carry organic mattresses? We went to get ds a new frame and the mattress store near us had an organic restonic floor sample on clearance, we have a regular restonic and bought from that store and it is awesome, if we had had the money i would have bought it right then for ds. It was a full or queen. But check you local stores for floor sample clearance.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
We can't afford organic either. We all sleep on futon matresses. For us, we prefer the hard surface. For DD we have her on a Montessori style floor bed and a futon was ther perfect thing. I don't think we will ever do innersprings.<br><br>
It's all cotton, not organic, but better than off gassing, IMO.

·
Registered
469 Posts
you can make an ikea mattress fire retardant free. Unzip the cover and cut off the cream colored stiff inner cover, and then rezip. We did this for our little guy, and he is already high in Arsenic so it was a big concern for us but we couldn't drop 1k on a wool FRF mattress

1 - 8 of 8 Posts