Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My LO is due in the next few weeks, and I plan on CDing. My MW suggests using sposies in the very beginning, just till the meconium passes. Can anyone talk about their experiences dealing with that stuff and CDs? Does it not wash out, or something?

· Registered
523 Posts
I am wondering about this too. With the first baby, the mec was done by the time we left the hospital. Our next babe will be born at home, and I would like to use cloth from the beginning. I am an OB nurse and we use cloth diapers at work, so there is obviously some way to get them clean, but I hate to think what chemicals they use to wash them.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
It is like BLACK TAR...mixed with vasoline. I'd suspect that you could PROBABLY get it out of cloth...but at the beginning, with all the new baby woohaa, that's just another thing to put on your plate.

You're looking at a day or so of a disposable and then onto cloth. Gah...in fact, if I remember correctly....my husband was so disgusted (and confused) with our first child's first poopy, he took a picture.

I bet I have it on my computer somewhere....though I'm sure google image can help you out.

· Registered
5,936 Posts
I did it. Soaked in oxyclean. Meh. It didn't stain more than the bright yellow poops later on. Honestly... it wasn't a big deal. I'm glad I used cloth from the beginning as it would have been easy to get trapped in the sposie cycle for months for someone like me.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
nak. we had a couple meconium poops on our cloth and i haven't seen any stains at all.

it helps to put olive oil (I used my earth mama baby oil) on baby's bum between changes because the mec. wipes off easier.

babe is 3.5 weeks old now. can't believe it!

· Registered
1,615 Posts
I used cloth and a bit of olive oil on our newborn and didn't have any mec staining. I didn't have to do anything special to wash them either. Mustard yellow breast milk poop on the other hand has made some interesting patterns on my dipes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.