Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen so many mamas here that have pulled their child out of this program.

My children are going to a public charter school starting in August.

Please tell me what is wrong with this program? Why would you pull you child out of it?

I want to be prepared and armed when/if the time comes.

TIA!!!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
My kids aren't old enough for it yet, but their school has the program. We will not allow our children to participate.

There are lots of things wrong with the program. First of all, I think it is a colossal waste of money, resources and teaching time. I would much rather that my children were learning math, science, art or music during the time that is squandered on DARE. I would also prefer that police officers were spending their taxpayer funded time doing something which actually improves the safety of my community. Despite the enormous hype around it, there is no proof that DARE works. To the contrary, there is even some evidence that kids who go through the program are actually more likely to take drugs than those who do not. I will not have my children indoctrinated to believe this "war on drugs" is anything but the tragic waste that it is.

For more on what is wrong with DARE, see http://www.drcnet.org/DARE/

Evidently, the school needs you to give permission to enroll them in DARE. I'm sure I will be one of the few, if not the first, parent to refuse permission. They will have to find something else to do with my child during this time, but if it's just sending her to the library to read, I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFmom
There are lots of things wrong with the program. First of all, I think it is a colossal waste of money, resources and teaching time. I would much rather that my children were learning math, science, art or music during the time that is squandered on DARE. I would also prefer that police officers were spending their taxpayer funded time doing something which actually improves the safety of my community. Despite the enormous hype around it, there is no proof that DARE works. To the contrary, there is even some evidence that kids who go through the program are actually more likely to take drugs than those who do not. I will not have my children indoctrinated to believe this "war on drugs" is anything but the tragic waste that it is.

i couldn't agree more...

we won't be allowing our kids to participate in dare either - besides the politics behind it, and our opposition to the doctrine; there is a lot of misinformation being peddled, that puts kids at a disadvantage in regard to being truly educated about the actual risks of particular substances.
dare didn't exist when i was in school, and now it's become an institution & almost a rite of passage in the public elementaries... complete with 'graduation' ceremony

one of the things that turned me off even more, recently - just on a basic level - was that our local police department used public funds to purchase a dare-mobile... a jeep cherokee emblazoned will all sorts of dare decals and messages. i'm still scratching my head as to how that particular investment is going to improve public safety (?)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
DARE is a way for police to get kids to rat out their family members & adult friends. I took it when I was in school! They also do teach you to identify different drugs and what they're called & how they're used. I do remember thinking it was so weird to get told in every class, "If you know anyone who uses these things, please come tell me [policeman] so we can help them,". Yay right! I think there are much better ways a cop could be using his time than trying to get kids to turn in their parents!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dready*mama
"If you know anyone who uses these things, please come tell me [policeman] so we can help them."
"help them by taking you out of their custody, and incarcerating them..."
exactly.
:puke

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
My older three children took this program. I looked over the materials initially and thought it was a good program. Watching the results over the years, I think it is a waste of time and $. I refused to let my youngest take it. However he was homeschooled anyway

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
If for some reason my kids end up in public school, I will let them decide whether or not they want to be in the program.

I'd really prefer they learn about drugs from an unbiased source. The greatest book I ever read about drugs was Dr. Weil's From Chocolate to Morphine. He does not advocate for or against drug use.

I don't want them learning that drug use is somehow bad or wrong and that drug users are immoral or whatever. Though I would really prefer they not use drugs, it's not my choice to make.

If it were all up to me I would not let them in the program. Also, in my high school there was no mention of it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I talked to the secretary at ds's school yesterday. They do, indeed, have a DARE program. STarting in 4th and 5th grade. He's going into 4th.

They also have a sex ed class starting in the 4th grade. Called Health. They said we could look over all the material and preview the video (which you know we will)

My gut tells me the DARE program will be ok. I mean, they've already spent the money. I don't want my son to do drugs. So I must be missing the part where it's bad.

? for moms whose children have gone through the program: Is it a one day/week/month long thing? How long is the police officer actually talking with the children?

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
girl calling police saying " I need help my mom is doing drugs" for having a glass of wine (on dr recommendations no less for the heart thing)
and another child turning his dad in for prescription blood pressure meds.
Unless they have really re-tooled it they were not very good about the difference between legal and what the law says is not legal...

I wonder how they would explain the med mj in those states??

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:
? for moms whose children have gone through the program: Is it a one day/week/month long thing? How long is the police officer actually talking with the children?
It is a program that lasts two to three weeks....a huge waste of time in my estimation!

The drug programs I grew up with in the 1960's use lots of scare tactics that really were not researched well. Sonny and Cher did one.

DARE does not use scare tactics, but it is ineffectual. I seems to say there are simply better ways to be with your friends and better things to do with your time.

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
Suzie, I pulled up an old thread "Anybody Skip Dare?" that also has lots of good info. I learned a lot from this thread. Also, there was just an article in the Harvard Medical Newsletter that showed that the research proves that DARE is NOT effective in the least. This is a prestigious medical newsletter, so I do feel they are on target.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Quote:
My gut tells me the DARE program will be ok. I mean, they've already spent the money. I don't want my son to do drugs. So I must be missing the part where it's bad.
I don't want my child to do drugs either, and the evidence is that kids who go through the DARE program are MORE likely to do drugs than those who do not.

As for them already spending the money, if I want the school to improve, whether for my kids or for kids yet to come, I need to take a stand. If a handfull of kids out of every class don't go through DARE, the school will be forced to come up with Plan B. I did say that I'd be happy to just send my kid to the library during the DARE hours, and I would rather she did that than go to DARE. But that's not the way I'm going to present it to the school administration. I'm going in there to talk to them about providing high quality instruction during the DARE hours.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
DD has went through the DARE program and also a sex ed program. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but only because we've discussed these things AT HOME too (where it SHOULD be discussed). DS #1 didn't have DARE but some sort of program through his school last year (2nd grade) and came home to tell me that it sparked some discussion, like how a classmate of his has already tried cigarettes and beer (from an older brother). Hmmmmm....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dh and I had a long discussion about both the DARE program and the Sex Ed program. We will probably pull him out of both.

It boiled down to the school should teach the 3 R's and we, the parents, will teach morality.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
DARE took my innocent six year old and 'convinced' him that crack cocaine was a bad idea.( I agree but he was SIX..come on people ....use your head...) Our school snuck in the permission letter at the beginning of the year. ( we took him out of ps at the end of the year) I hated that my baby was exposed to that kind of stuff. I hated that he knew all the 'hip' names for drugs. He didn't need to know that garbage. They basically armed him with information to take to the streets. Now the kids know what to ask for. To me it's like talking the "sex education" they give kids of the same age. Here are all the diseases you can get , here are some of the bad things that will happen and OH here's your complimentary box of condoms. Idiots.

I find it ironic that they take our kids (some without parental knowledge) and discuss peer pressure under the guise of keeping them off drugs. And we parents should let the kids do it because "everyone else does it".

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Wow, I've never heard of DARE being offered to a first grade class before. Where I am it's 4th or 5th, depending on the school.

Personally, I don't have a problem with sex ed classes, unless they are of the "abstinance-only" variety. My big problem is with schools continuing very expensive, time-wasting programs that have been shown over and over again not to work (so the abstinance-only programs fit in that category).

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
DARE programs have been shown in research to have no impact on children's choice to use drugs and alcohol, so I would agree---why spend scarce resources on promoting and offering this program?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts