Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
946 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFmom
There are lots of things wrong with the program. First of all, I think it is a colossal waste of money, resources and teaching time. I would much rather that my children were learning math, science, art or music during the time that is squandered on DARE. I would also prefer that police officers were spending their taxpayer funded time doing something which actually improves the safety of my community. Despite the enormous hype around it, there is no proof that DARE works. To the contrary, there is even some evidence that kids who go through the program are actually more likely to take drugs than those who do not. I will not have my children indoctrinated to believe this "war on drugs" is anything but the tragic waste that it is.

i couldn't agree more...

we won't be allowing our kids to participate in dare either - besides the politics behind it, and our opposition to the doctrine; there is a lot of misinformation being peddled, that puts kids at a disadvantage in regard to being truly educated about the actual risks of particular substances.
dare didn't exist when i was in school, and now it's become an institution & almost a rite of passage in the public elementaries... complete with 'graduation' ceremony

one of the things that turned me off even more, recently - just on a basic level - was that our local police department used public funds to purchase a dare-mobile... a jeep cherokee emblazoned will all sorts of dare decals and messages. i'm still scratching my head as to how that particular investment is going to improve public safety (?)

· Registered
946 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dready*mama
"If you know anyone who uses these things, please come tell me [policeman] so we can help them."
"help them by taking you out of their custody, and incarcerating them..."
exactly.
:puke

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.