Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Among other things, my DD has an acquired language disorder. She's 3.5 and has some words, some signs, some communication, but is mostly waaaaaay behind in language/communication. At special ed preschool and daycare she is showing some receptive language response to picture communication systems (e.g., if daycare provider points to picture of DD sitting on potty, DD will walk herself to potty room.) She is not yet using pictures for expressive communication. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lately I've been obsessing about getting her an ipod touch for xmas and downloading icommunicate onto it. Before I plunk down the $$ for it, I'd love to hear from other families about their experiences using an iphone or ipod for AAC. How has well has it worked or not worked for your DC? </p>

·
Registered
933 Posts
<p>I too will be interested in responses.  My DS was born the same month as your DD, he has autism and a profound speech delay.  One of the ST's brought in her iPad with a PECS app uploaded onto it, and she and other teachers were shaking over how well DS was using it.  I told DH about it and that night we decided we should get an iPad somehow....I know so little about Apple products that I didn't realize an iPod touch might suffice.  What is AAC?</p>

·
Registered
133 Posts
<p>I don't have one personally, but I'm a therapist, and one of my co-workers highly recommended a new app called (I think) "Vocabeads".  Sorry I don't have more info--</p>

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>AAC = augmented/assisted communication.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(incidentally, AAC is also the acronym for the type of music file that iTunes uses)</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts