Mothering Forum banner

Talking to L & D nurses?

840 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  tika
I want to get a feel for the vbac policy at the hopsital I plan on having my vbac at (women & infants, RI)....not for a couple of years though. Do I just call the hospital? Speak to who? How do I get that info without calling the hospital?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I've called a few hospitals and asked to talk to the head L&D nurse. Then I just asked her roughly how many VBAC's are successful at the hospital.
I've called a few hospitals and asked to talk to the head L&D nurse. Then I just asked her roughly how many VBAC's are successful at the hospital.
Yup--call the hospital and ask to speak with the head nurse in the Labor and Delivery department. Don't forget to ask her which m/w's and docs are most VBAC-friendly. Oftentimes, they will tell you. Sometimes they will give some resistence because they are not supposed to "recommend" one doc over another, but usually if you press the issue and ask her who she would go to if she was looking for a VBAC, she'll usually tell you.

After you get some leads (that is if you don't already have a doc/midwife), you can then call and speak to the provider at his/her office.

You can also ask the hospital to provide you with the VBAC statistics of the hospital. I believe it's federal law that they maintain and provide a copy of many statistics such as epidural rates, rates of primary sections, and rates of VBAC's. The nurse may transfer you to patient advocacy or something like that, but I believe all hospitals will furnish their rates upon request.

HTH,
Some states also maintain online registries of VBAC and C/S rates at individual hospitals. I don't know what state you're planning your VBAC in, but at least in NY you can find fairly up to date VBAC and C/S rates online.
I will vbac in Rhode Island
I have called hospitals and just ask for the L&D nurses desk...then hope I get a nurse who has been there a while! I have found most of them to be super nice and very helpful.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay
Some states also maintain online registries of VBAC and C/S rates at individual hospitals. I don't know what state you're planning your VBAC in, but at least in NY you can find fairly up to date VBAC and C/S rates online.
Would you happen to have a link available for NYS statistics? I know I've seen them before, but I just can't seem to find them. Thanks!
See less See more
Heyla!

The website I used was http://www.nhqc.com/newyork05/glancechoose.htm

You can select a region (I chose all) and a "procedure" (in this case VBAC...it's all the way at the bottom) and then get a graph showing how often this procedure is implemented in various hospitals.

You can also search by a specific hospital, so that can be helpful as well.

HTH!
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay
Heyla!

The website I used was http://www.nhqc.com/newyork05/glancechoose.htm

You can select a region (I chose all) and a "procedure" (in this case VBAC...it's all the way at the bottom) and then get a graph showing how often this procedure is implemented in various hospitals.

You can also search by a specific hospital, so that can be helpful as well.

HTH!
Thank you!!
See less See more
I would also advise you to make this call at least yearly, possibly even every 6 months, as the VBAC climate keeps changing. Doctors who support VBAC today, may not next week, same goes for hospitals. You may also want to look into home birth options even though you may not want to plan on one at this time, just to see what's out there so you are aware of *all* of your options in case something changes in your local birth climate then you'd at least know what other options are out there for you.

It's good that you're feeling things out now even though a lot can change in a few years.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.