Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am TTC number 2

if I am PG this month -- DS will be 21 months when the baby is born. We hope to have the birth before he is 2, no matter what.

I am going to allow DS to nurse as he wants -- if he self-weans I will let him, but I will not push the issue unless i have to due to weight gain.

so

it occured to me -- I may be going to the hosptial to birth -- with a 20-something month old who still nurses!!

Was anyone in this situation?

We will labor as long as we can at home, and my mom should -- we hope -- be able to come with with DS. I know he can visit me at the hsoptail while i labor, and after the birth (I do not want himt here for pushing or actual delievery -- but he could play in teh waiting room with mom or go walk or whatever).

How often did you nurse during labor?

How soon after delievery?

How long did you stay at the hosptial after the birth?

how did you work this situation?

Aimee

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do you think I felt when this DAWNED on me as I rocked Theo to nap --

well not scared -- but "jsut add it to the long list of things to be dealt with" and figured out (and yes I DO have that list on my computer).

it was a light bulb moment -- thinking about my friends tour of her birth center today with her 4 yo and talking about when she wants him there, will he stay thenight with her and so on....and BAM -- i realize I am going to be in the same boat only iwth a child right around 2 and potentially still nurseing.

:
:
:

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i gotta start the reseach to make myself feel better.

Aimee

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
You brought back memories for me!

I tandem nursed dd1 for 10 months after dd2 was born. Had both girls naturally in a hospital. Dd1 was almost 18 months old when dd2 was born.

When you asked about nursing while in labor I had to think about it . . . hmmm . .. . I really don't remember! Of course, dd1 was night weaned at that point and dd2 was born at 12:25 a.m. so it probably wasn't an issue. I think I nursed her before I left to go to the hospital (around 8:30 p.m.) and then she came the next morning as soon as she woke up.

I remember . . . I nursed dd1 to sleep right there in the bed next to me.

Oh, I also had my book Adventures in Tandem Nursing out for all to see at all times.
Just in case anyone wanted to raise an eyebrow.

The lactation consultant came in and said, "Ah, you don't need me. You probably know more than I do anyway."

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
My dd was 22 months when ds was born. She was still nursing, but during my second trimester, my supply pretty much dwindled to almost nothing. She night weanered herself at that point (I guess it just wasn't worth waking up for anymore!). She still liked to nurse throughout the day, but I found that she began nursing less frequently, especially in public, because there were just other interesting things to do.

When my ds was born, my mom (who dd is close to) stayed the night at our house and then my dad and sisters came over the next day. Dd was so excited to see everyone
that the nursing actually never came up. I think it depends a lot on the kid.

On a side note, when I came home, dd was all ready to nurse. My milk came in pretty soon after ds's birth, and I was all excited to have a toddler who could help me "cope" with engorgement! But I found that dd had actually forgotten how to nurse properly, since she hadn't been getting milk for so long. I had to show her how to stick out her tongue and everything, and she did get the hang of it again within a couple days.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
My DC are 21 months apart. Both born in hospital by unwanted cesareans. I was (and still sort of am) tandem nursing, though DS is nearly totally weaned. Only nurses at night for 2 minutes or so.

How often did you nurse during labor?
Didn't nurse during labor... was too distracted and we left for the hospital quite soon, as contrax were painful & long. My mom stayed with DS at home.

How soon after delievery?
Not until I returned home from the hospital. I was in hospital for 2 days. He did come visit but never asked to nurse!

How long did you stay at the hosptial after the birth?
2 days.

how did you work this situation?
My mom stayed with Thor while we were at the hospital and DH went home a little early to be with DS, while my mom came and helped me at the hospital. DS was still nursing, but was fine with going a full day not nursing, kwim? I felt bad about being gone from him for so long, but there wasn't much I could do. Right when I came home he asked to nurse, and he nursed every 2-3 hours for a couple weeks (except for at night). During the hospital stay I told the lactation consultant that I was still nursing my toddler and she was so cool about it. Said great, and really left me alone!

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
My DC are 21 months apart
mine might be jsut that, or 22.

HOw much was your first child (a boy, right) eating other than YOU at the point you had the 2nd -- I know you said he is almost weaned now -- and was o k with the itme aawy form teh boob -- how much of a difference was it for him -- how much had he been nurseing daily before you went to have the baby?

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Learn from my mistake.

Well, you already are because you're thinking about this now. My thinking ran along the lines of, "I'll have Sebastian, head home that day, and we'll all snuggle down in bed together that night with no interruption to Qualia's nursing needs." (She was 19 months old when Sebastian was born.)

Despite my instincts telling me to birth in a hospital because of unexpected complications, I didn't have a solid plan in place for when those suspected complications did arise and required two days' hospitalization for both of us. And I didn't realize that it would be a problem that Qualia hadn't had chicken pox or the vax yet. (Well, that rightfully kept her out of the NICU nursery, which makes sense, but one nurse told me to keep her out of the entire hospital, which I only found out later when I was back in my right head and asking questions was incorrect.
: )

So for the first time ever, we were separated for two nights in a row, and I really hadn't planned on that or prepared her for that. We did visit in the hospital lobby a few times and nursed then, and the friend who was caring for her offered to nurse her, but it was traumatic. The break in nursing would have been ok, I think, if I'd thought to prep her for that. But really, I should have verified hospital policy sooner and then it wouldn't have been a problem because she would have been with me whenever I wasn't in the special care nursery with Sebastian.

How often did you nurse during labor? Just a couple times early on, but it was a pretty quick labor that didn't need any "boosting."

How soon after delivery? I don't remember. I started pumping for Sebastian maybe 6 hours after his birth (@3:55 pm) and nursed Qualia the next day sometime, probably mid-morning.

How long did you stay at the hospital after the birth? Sebastian was born Monday afternoon and we went home Wednesday.

How did you work this situation? Not as well as I could have, as shown above.
I wasn't in any clear state of mind after his birth, being so caught up in his care and worrying about his survival, so specific "scenario" arrangements should have been made before his birth.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am learning so much

check the hosptial

plan for the unexpected -- even the really unexpected (NICU and so on)

prep ds that we'll be apart -- which i would anyway -- but point out that means no boob till later

I am taking notes

A

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My older nursling was 26 months when #2 was born. DS#1 would not even get near me in the hospital -- he wouldn't even let me hold him. I thought he might wean -- nope. As soon as I was home and nursed the baby for the first time, he crawled up to nurse. We tandem nursed for almost 2 years.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Great thread! I have been wondering about this too since I will likely have another c-section and I don't see DS weaning anytime soon. He'll be 25 months old when the baby comes and will stay with my mom while DH and I are in the hospital. I'm hoping he sleeps thru the night by then and can nurse when he comes to see me.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I tandum nursed through three babies. the second of them was born in the hospital. I nursed dd before heading to the hospital, which I did when contractions were three min. apart (I really wanted to avoid the place as much as I could). my mom met us at the hospital and took the older kids. my ob had (at his suggestion) written into my treatment plan that went into my hospital file that my dd (age 2 1/2 ) would be rooming in with me as she had to have unrestricted breastfeeding.
As far as drs go, I had a great one.
my mom brought the older kids up about an hour after the birth. I nursed dd to sleep about an hour later, then had time to spend getting to know the newest one.

the third baby born during my tandum nursing was born at home. I had a great picture of me nursing him while sitting on the birth ball during labor. lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ds1 was 20 months when ds2 was born. He had weaned himself down to only nursing 1-2x a day over the course of the pregnancy (my milk dried up during the 1st trimester but he kept on trying anyway!).

How often did you nurse during labor? I had a 36 hour labor and spent all but the last 2 hours at home. Ds2 was born at 12:17 PM, and ds1 had last nursed about 5:30 that morning. That was an unusual wakeup time for him (I guess he sensed that something was going on!). Dh tried to get him back to sleep, but ds really wanted to nurse, so that's what we did. Nursing through an intense contraction is NOT comfortable! But my labor did seem to pick up after that nursing session, so I'm glad we did it!

How soon after delievery? My parents stayed at the house with ds1, and they brought him to visit me at the hospital around 4:30 that afternoon, so around 4 hours after the birth. He was a bit hesitant, but when I invited him to climb in my lap and nurse, he was happy to do so.

How long did you stay at the hosptial after the birth? 2 nights. My parents brought ds1 to visit us again on the 2nd day, and he nursed then as well.

how did you work this situation? It ended up working out well for us since ds was generally nursing so little at that point (usually when waking up for the day) and was eating table food quite well. My parents kept him so busy and full of his favorite foods while I was in the hospital that he seemed to forget about nursing for those couple of days. He definitely made up for lost time once the baby came home, though, wanting to nurse just as often as his brother did! He ended up weaning himself after tandem nursing for 15.5 months.

·
Registered
845 Posts
oh. I forgot to mention that dd during my seventh month decided that only one side worked so that one would be the baby's. she nursed on just the left side for the next three years! I nursed the baby on the right side when dd was around and both when she wasn't. before my milk came in fully, it was very cool because I could pump from both breast...one had colosterum and a bit of milk, the other had mostly milk and just a bit of the heavier colosterum.
during the pregnancy of the third baby, I weaned dd when I was seven months pregnant. ds (the one born in the hospital) was three at the time. he decided to nurse on dd's side until the baby came then gave that side to the newest baby. he was very possive of "his" side.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
mine might be jsut that, or 22.

HOw much was your first child (a boy, right) eating other than YOU at the point you had the 2nd -- I know you said he is almost weaned now -- and was o k with the itme aawy form teh boob -- how much of a difference was it for him -- how much had he been nurseing daily before you went to have the baby?
He was eating normally, I'd say, although it was somewhat unpredictable... he'd eat a lot one day and not much the other days. He did eat a lot with my mom, though.

He nursed a lot daily before I left to have the baby, but I also had gotten into the habit of telling him no a lot, because I found it incredibly uncomfortable to nurse while pregnant. Honestly I don't think he thought about nursing when I wasn't around, so when I wasn't there and he was with my mom he was just fine. I think it was more stressful for him to have me there, but me telling him "no" if he wanted to nurse. But nursing at the end of my pg was nearly like torture. It was a hard time!!

By 21 months it is my experience that most dcs are OK with not nursing for a day or two. Also, you might find that your dc weans... that's a fairly common happening during pregnancy, as most mamas lose their milk around the 4th month. I did. DS dropped off his nursing to only once a day, until my colostrum came in at the end. Then it was a non-stop request for nursing!! Whew....

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
My second and third are 22 months apart (a delightful surprise
). Looking back, there would be no way I'd have them that close if I'd been calling the shots
In my personal circumstances, with my children's temperaments, there would have also been no way the hospital scene would have worked out as far as beds, rules, germs, procedures and interuptions go during or after the birth. Logistically, when I look at my first hospital experience...there would be no way we could have had the wonderful bonding time as a new family in the bed like we did at home. If you do end up in the hospital, my advice would be to get "clearance" ahead of time from the pediatrician and mw to sign out at the earliest possible moment so you can get into a more familiar environment for your toddler---it's a very big transition for them.

My ds had basically cut waay back on night nursing (on his own) around 9 months....and surprise, surprise....but of course, once I was very pukey and exhausted in my first trimester, he picked up nursing around the clock with a vengeance
I can laugh about it now....

I've tandemed nursed twice (and nursed three for a short period of time
), and I've nursed through pregnancy twice. I've just never had toddlers who have been okay with me being gone for longer than a few hours, so I really don't have much to offer as far as "it'll be fun and easy" advice! But, you never know until you try, right?

Best wishes with everything

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.