Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am currently nursing my two and a half year old and expecting another in July when DD will be three. She currently nurses to sleep at night.

My question is this, how do I nurse TWO kids to sleep at night, once the baby is born ? I would like to not have to wean her yet, but I cannot wrap my head around how I will night time nurse TWO at a time...

· Registered
867 Posts
Subbing. I'm afraid to TTC (DH wants to) for this reason. I can't fathom the thought of nursing 2 at night. I've been trying to nightwean my DD for this reason...

· Registered
3,206 Posts
I would make learning to go to sleep with out nursing a priority. What if you are in labor at bed time? If you are having a hospital birth? She doesn't have to wean to stop nursing for sleep. If you can get through the possible separation part but want to continue to nurse her to sleep you could just have different bed times. Or perhaps your new baby won't need to nurse to sleep.

· Registered
979 Posts
When I was bout 36 weeks pregnant we night-weaned my 2.5 year old so that he did not need to nurse when he woke at night. I wanted him to have the flexibility, since I knew I wouldn't always be available at night once the baby was born. But we were still nursing to sleep at night, even the night I was in labor!

My new baby is now 5 days old so our tandem nursing situation is brand new to me, but this is what we're doing--

I am still nursing my older to sleep. It's pretty easy for me to nurse the baby, hand her off to dad, and then go into my toddler and get him to sleep. Especially during this difficult transition time of going from 1 to 2, this 1-on-1 time with him is REALLY important to me. I do hope to get him off nursing to sleep soonish (esp. for his nap, which I don't know how I will be able to swing logistically once my husband is back at work), but for now we both need this bedtime time together. Then I focus on the babe at night (unless she's not sleeping and needs to be walking around, then I wake the hubbie), and my husband has taken over the nighttime cuddling with my son when he wakes. He is LOVING getting to cuddle with our son, who has always relied on me at night, so that's been a nice development for them.

We're still in adjustment, but that's what we're doing now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.