Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 5 day old and a 22 month old and am attempting tandem nursing. dd1 (22m) seems to want to bf more since she sees dd2 doing it which is fine with me. but i am having difficulty latching dd2 because my breasts are SOOOO incredibly full and tight. and when i wake in the morning it is ridiculous. i don't know if having a 5 day old that sleeps so well is a blessing or a curse. with dd1 sometimes i would pump a litle to make it easier for her to nurse and since i was returning to work part time it was a good way to build a stash. but now i'm not returning to work so i don't really need a big stash and i'm afraid pumping a little for comfort and an easier latch is just going to contribute more to my discomfort and latch issues. dd2 nurses great when she can latch on easily. i know tandeming is hard at first and gets easier but i'm just not sure how to get thru this time... any help or sugggestions...even just encouragement is WELCOME!!
thanks in advance Mamas!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Could you have dd1 nurse first thing in the morning to relieve engorgement so you can nurse dd2. If not (say she's still asleep) I'd just hand express some to relieve it enough to get dd2 on.

Good luck and congratulations on your new little one!

·
Registered
686 Posts
ok so I had a big reply before and the server was unresponsive. I just wanted to let you know I had the same thing happen. I couldn't beleive I was engorged because I was tandeming but I had oversupply issues, they have resolved thoug h, I am positive I still produce a bunch of milk. I would start dc1 off on one side then give it to dc2. She latched better if I did that and was happier. I ended up giving each babe a breast of their own. That is what I still do. But dc1 doesn't nurse as much now so I rotate a bit with dc2 now. Hang in there it will get better, your dc1 will stop nursing at much. At first it felt like my dc1 nursed more than the newborn
. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts