Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25 mo dd, avid nurser, nurses to sleep, when she wakes up, when happy, sad, frustrated, etc. etc... I am due with dd #2 on 7-27-05. I have some quetions form those who have BTDT. I must add I have very little support from my family, in laws, or friends on this decision, and because my MIL is totally against it (she thinks i am starving the unborn baby) my dh is also wary and thinks the baby will be "fragile". I have all the LLL books but no one wants to hear the information I have. Anyway, to the qustions<br>
1. How did you do the nursing in the hospital. Ideally I will only need to spend 24 hours after birth of baby. Was your toddler Ok just coming in as aa visitor and nursing maybe once during the time you were there?<br>
(my mil will be taking care of her, I worry about how much stress the toddler will be under and then she will by crying for memees and mil will be frusstrated with me bacause I didn't wean her??)<br><br>
2. Did you have any problems with having enough colostrum, Ive read two versions, one is you make more the more they suck, on is that the colostrum is limited and you need to make sure infant gets it?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
My dd1 was 32 months when dd2 was born, and she was/is an avid nurser. I did nurse her in the hospital. I actually nursed both children at the same time in the hopsital. The lactation consultant didn't bat any eyelash at it (or if she did, she did it privately, so we couldn't tell her thoughts) and actually helped me. I didn't see dd1 for about 24 hours after dd2 was born, so when my mom and dh came her in to see me, she immediately wanted to nurse and did.<br><br>
I didn't have a problem with colustrum or milk at all. dd2 gained well and is/was healthy. I don't think dd1's nursing affected my colustrum or milk at all. I am pretty sure the colostrum isn't limited, and I didn't worry about it at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My DS was 22 mos when DD was born. He was (and still is) a frequent and enthusiastic nurser. The hospital stay went fine for us. DS had Nummas when he would visit the hospital and the rest of the time the extra activities and attention from spending extra time with daddy and his "auntie" (my best friend) kept him entertained and distracted.<br><br>
As far as colostrum, I don't think there was a problem. DD gained more than a pound over birthweight by her 2 week check up.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
my dd was 24 mo. when ds came along. she was and is an avid nurser. we had her stay with my mil. as soon as she came to the hospital, she nursed. she had no problem leaving me there b/c mil and fil promised her mcdonald's french fries (i thought she'd freak!, but the fries won out!) my advice is to get her use to staying with your mil now. before we ever left dd overnight with them, we did a couple of trial runs. she slept there a couple of times, so i felt she'd be fine. and she was. i was in hospital 2 days, and by the 2nd day, she had had it and really wanted me, but i came home then. about the colostrum, i had plenty for both. i did make sure the baby nursed first most of the time though, just to make sure! everything worked out well, he had gained over a pound by his 2 week checkup (is now 4 mo. and 18 1/2 lbs!!!) also, in the beginning, it was hard with both nursing. my dd would cry, wake the baby, baby would cry, mama would cry... it was terrible. but it did get better and easier!!! please remember this... if times get rough, it won't last. that's what my friend told me who'd BTDT, and in those dark hours of the morning with crying kids and no sleep, i kept telling myself that. it got better and easier day by day! hang in there! good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts