Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out a new nursing position, and would love tips from those who've BTDT . . .

When the twins just need a little drink before they go on with their playing, but they both want that drink at the same time, I'm been experimenting with pulling them onto my lap, and getting them to nurse sitting, both of them sitting astride one of my legs, if that makes sense.

It's a little hard, because they're used to nursing lying down (them lying down, not me), and they want to lean against my arms or something else. I try to support the backs of their heads with my hands and that helps . . .

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to teach them to nurse at the same time without having to drag out the big ol' nursing pillow (which I have loved, and still love for when I'm nursing them to sleep, but which is kind of a pain to get out for a two minute session, y'know?).

Anyway, anyone have any spiffy ways to do this? They've both got excellent head control and all, been sitting independantly for ages, etc. But it's hard to help two wiggly little girls latch at the same time when they're not lying down!

I'm convinced it's possible, though, and I'm sure if anyone knows how to do it, it'll be y'all. Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It is possible! Can't sat I'm an expert, but we have done it some, for just the reason you do. I spread my legs embarassingly wide and sit my girls on each leg, facing each other. Then I sort of hold them in place, giving them something to rest against with my arms.

I love going pillow free! But my girls are almost too tall for this position. We'll be experimenting further.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I do it just like Gena22 except I sit babies on the floor. Then I close the gap and butt my legs up behind them, support them with my hands on their backs. Actually, my hands are also used to police the two of them fiddling with each other.
I am hunched over, but it is the only way I've been able to tandem feed.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I used to sit with straddling my two thighs, and lean backwards a bit so they could reach my breasts easily. DD2 used to turn her head sort of sideways so that she could lay her head on my shoulder and still nurse, which was weird bit it worked fine. That way she still felt "cradled."

I mostly did that after about 7 months, when they could sit well, and they'd basically latch themselves.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well, if you're at home and your girls like supported standing already, then you can just lean waaayyy forward toward and the babes can stand on the floor in front of you. Obviously, you need to be seated on something sofa-height rather than a dining room chair. You can close your knees and have the twins to the outsides, or stand one twin on the outside and one between your knees. They usually think this is funny
but it's not that great when you are away from home.

I didn't bother with the nursing pillow anymore by that age. I always did parallel hold, so one is rested in the crook of my arm and the other has his/her head in the bottom twins belly. Works great!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I usually have them cradled in the crook of my arm. That way they are both sitting up and still have access. I had to nurse them in the bank when we went to sign our mortgage a few months ago and I just sat them both on the counter in the bank kitchen, lifted up my shirt and they both had a good feed. I find it more fun now to nurse them because all they need now is a body part, as opposed to help getting situated. Sometimes they will lie with their head in my lap and that works too.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's been awhile, but I think I used to sit on the couch with each on a side facing me. And I'd put an arm around behind each (so they were each sitting with their head in the crook of my arm.)

I did the same thing sitting cross legged on the floor too.

Personally, I really didn't like having them sit on my legs.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I'd love to nurse that way but now that the girls are taller and my boobs are so big and saggy, it just doesn't work

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
When mine were your twins' age, I'd usually nurse one in the cradle hold and the other in the football hold (pic of that here - and this website also has lots of twin breastfeeding images to help others out). Awhile ago though they started nursing both sitting up (I'm going to say there were already 2 years old by this time), however they were positioned one on either side of me - we'd do this sitting on the couch during storytime. I'd put my arm around each of them and they'd latch and streeeeetch my poor "nursies" all out of shape and that is the way they liked it from then on. Most of the time it wasn't painful or anything but occassionally we'd get a bad latch from it and I'd end up with a bit of soreness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.