Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey tandeming mamas,
i'm currently breastfeeding, pregnant and planning on tandem nursing (if ds does not wean). how does it work? who do you feed first? what are your experiences with what works, what does not etc?? thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've been tandeming for year now, and I am glad for it. It has been VERY challenging at times. Mostly because they often want to nurse at the same time and having one on each breast sometimes gets me way overstimulated.

In the beginning, I nursed the baby ALL the time and my older daughter, who was almost 3, whenever she asked. I did it separately for a week or so and then started trying to nurse them together. That was the only really hard part for me. Positions were tough and often so much milk would let down that the baby would be drowning. It was hard b/c when dd1 saw me nursing dd2 she wanted some too. But, nursing them separately was no big deal. dd1 just had to learn to wait a little bit. Lucky for her dd2 finishes a feeding in under 5 min and always has.

At first I would try to feed dd2 first, but I had so much milk it didn't really matter. When I was SUPER engorged I had dd1 nurse first to release the pressure. If she took the edge off then dd2 could nurse happily without drowning in milk. I was all worried about foremilk and hindmilk and the baby getting jipped. In the end she gained weight and nursed just fine, and they are both still going strong.

I had no idea how hungry I would be and how fast I would get dehydrated. It is almost impossible to drink enough water. Really take care of yourself and try not to think too much about it. When they are both looking at you with their mouths open you'll know what to do!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm now tandem nursing for the 2nd time. My 1st 2 cuties tandem nursed for 20 months and now my 2nd and 3rd have been at it for about 3 months. I doubt my 2nd will wean any time soon so I figure we're in this for the long haul again.
The first time I tried to keep track of who had nursed on which side for however long and it just stressed me out. I finally just went with the flow and let them nurse on demand and just gaged which side to give the baby by feel. Sometimes the infant would get the more engorged side and vice versa. My 2nd was 20 lbs by 4 months so he clearly didn't lack any of the good stuff! :LOL This time around I've gone with the flow from the get go. It's easier this time because my 2nd is older then my 1st was so he's not nursing nearly as often as she did.

My advice... go with the flow. Don't worry too much about who nurses first etc, just follow your cuties' clues and it'll all work out!
Best of luck and congrats!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hiya Mama!

I have been tandem nursing or almost 11 mths. When my youngest was born I would nurse them both at the same time or one at a time if only one was hungry. I still do that but try to nurse seperately since they are both to big to fit on my lap comfortably. Like another mama already said; try not to put too much thought into it. You'll do what comes naturally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.