Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm heading into the tandem nursing world for the first time in just a few short months if ds keeps nursing, which I think he will.<br>
How careful do I have to be about spreading germs (ie should the baby only nurse from one side or should I clean my breasts in between feedings)?<br>
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just don't know.<br><br>
Also, I want the baby to, of course, get all the colostrum benefits. Should I keep my ds (toddler) away from the breast for the first 2 days or just limit him?<br><br>
What do you think? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Welcome to Tandem Hood!<br><br>
I'm also a card carrying member! LOL- anyway I don't do anything to clean between nursings. If one is sick then I will maybe wipe off that side. I really don't "clean" between uses. If I were to do that I would just use a lansinoh wipe (which I just love anyway). I also don't Limit nursing. Period. I make sure that the newborn gets the other breast than the last feeding. But honestly, you will be doing a lot of switching anyway. I lay the toddler across me (tummy 2 tummy) and then the newborn in the football hold with head on the toddler's tummy. Works well for us.<br><br>
I understand your concern for the baby during the colostrum phase, however the toddler is going to need you just as much as he does today. Let the toddler nurse, your colostrum won't be quite the same for LO #2, as it was for your first. YOu already have some milk, but your colosturm will come in also. You will have plenty of colostrum- trust me. My 4th baby enede up in the nursery, and I enede up pumping and I was able to pump 4 full bottles for him, and they were all amazed as most can only pump an ounce or three!<br><br>
You will have some interesting days ahead, but I hope you will really enjoy being a tanem mom. Also know that the toddler will probably want to ONLY nurse for a few days/weeks- just so you know! He's been on a pretty thin amount of milk, and now there is a TON!!! Just remember to relax and enjoy, as these quiet moment's will be fleeting! I also love how they like to hold hands, rub hair, and are generally more connected than the no nursing kids- at least in my house anyway!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi mama, I am a tandem nursing mama of a 4 yr old and a 17 month old. You will have plenty of colostrum for the baby! We had the baby side and Zededee's side but never washed between. Do you have the book adventures in tandem nursing? That can be helpful. We have the sweetest moments of them holding hands, stroking each others faces, so tender, so special! I have moments of needing my space and feeling touched out but would not trade it for the world!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I am nursing 3 now and still had colostrum for the newest one.I also never worried about germs since the toddler and baby are sharing the same house they have already been exposed to the same germs.I do try to keep them on the same sides but of course its flexible.<br>
Read Adventures in Tandem Nursing and lurk on the multiples board.Rest,rest rest!Get fluids whenever you can,I didn't feel so parched until I was tandeming.Take advantage of the pillows on your couch.Good luck!Its hard and there will be stressful times but there are lots of tender moments and it will ease your toddlers transition.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi, I'm tandeming a 3.75 y.o. and a 2 y.o. and pregnant with baby #3. I limited each to a side for a few hours in the early days to make sure dd2 got enough...but then sometimes had to have dd1 drink of the extra milk before dd2 nursed. I didn't worry about germs but I did wipe off peanut butter before the baby nursed.<br><br>
Oh...and if anyone on this thread has triandem advice, particularly for triandem night nursing, please let me know!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Me too.<br>
First couple of days newborn 'went first'. Certainly didn't keep 3 yr old away entirely - not necessary and it would have upset him. Sometimes they fed at same time. Later on (as I have overactive letdown) older nursling sometimes went first and newborn then fed much more happily.<br>
At night they stick to one side each (same side each night) for convenience while co-sleeping.<br>
From everything I've read don't worry about germs/ separate boobs. Thrush is the only issue where this might be relevant but you'll all probably need treatment anyway.<br><br>
Definitely get adventures in tandem nursing.<br>
I'm really happy it's worked out like this and I do feel it has helped transition but it CAN be hard.

·
Registered
462 Posts
We just celebrated two great years of tandeming, and we may triandem in a few months! I hope that it is as good for you as it has been for us.<br><br>
Breastmilk has natural antibacterial properties, so it isn't necessary to worry about germs (I would watch out for potential allergens like peanuts butter, etc, though).<br><br>
Dd needed me desparately at first, and was so excited about the increase in milk that I didn't limit her (she did wind up nursing almost exclusively for a few months and gained several pounds!).<br><br>
I assigned them separate sides because switching back and forth was resulting in over supply and hindmilk/foremilk imbalance.<br><br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com" target="_blank">www.kellymom.com</a> and Adventures in Tandem Nursing were extremely helpful for me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
We just celebrated two great years of tandeming, and we may triandem in a few months! I hope that it is as good for you as it has been for us.<br><br>
Breastmilk has natural antibacterial properties, so it isn't necessary to worry about germs (I would watch out for potential allergens like peanuts butter, etc, though).<br><br>
Dd needed me desparately at first, and was so excited about the increase in milk that I didn't limit her (she did wind up nursing almost exclusively for a few months and gained several pounds!).<br><br>
I assigned them separate sides because switching back and forth was resulting in over supply and hindmilk/foremilk imbalance.<br><br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com" target="_blank">www.kellymom.com</a> and Adventures in Tandem Nursing were extremely helpful for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts