Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some think strollers are bad, but my 2.5 yo is just too big for me to carry any distance, and sometimes we go on walks that are too long for her to walk all the way. Plus I can carry stuff (mail from the PO box, groceries, potting soil from the hardware store, etc.) in the basket, unlike any kind of sling I've yet seen. Now we have a new baby, and I don't have any sling or carrier but intend to get one, meanwhile my gf asked if she could buy us a tandem stroller or buggy board-type attachment. I also found this interesting one:
http://comfortfirst.com/pc-28167-266...-stroller.aspx
It looks cute but then I wonder how suitable it would be for a tired toddler.

So I am looking for opinions on these choices. In a tandem stroller, stadium seating vs side-by-side? Buggy board? Brands you like/dislike? (expensive is out of the question). We have a Graco car seat, we used it with our single stroller but only a few times before dd1 outgrew it. So I like Graco but am not committed to it.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I bought a double buggy when DS was born, DD was 2 1/4. For us I think it has worked a lot better than a buggy board. DD walks quite well but once she's tired I can't see her standing on a buggy board. Also she often has a snack or drink in the buggy. A bonus for me though is that I can strap her in an know where she is
: She has a habit of disappearing while I'm checking out library books or feeding DS.

Personally I prefer the side by side type. The other's I've tried seemed hard to push as you had to have the oldest and heaviest child in the front. We have a Maclaren and I haven't had any problems with doorways. The seats are quite narrow though, fine for my skinny toddler but maybe not so good for larger children.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Personally, I would get a pouch or other carrier for the newborn and just get a light stroller for the toddler. I'm not opposed to strollers in general, but for little babies I think it's better (and easier) to carry them. I would save the $$ on a tandem stroller and get a cool pouch (Hotsling or Kangaroo Korner, maybe) or a soft carrier (mei tai or even an Ergo) instead. In our area there are always tons of light strollers on craigslist--don't bother getting a brand new one. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I bought a double for my kids, mostly because DS still naps in the stroller and I was always relieved to be able to put DD down once in a while (she's heavy!)

I prefer the SBS strollers. the steering is far better and the seats are larger. My DD, 12 mos old, is already too tall for the front seat of a Graco Duoglider. The seat only reaches up to her shoulders and it would be impossible for her to nap. Steering something like the DG, when fully loaded is like steering a tank through store aisles. Never mind the grass at the park.

For the same price as the strollirider, you could get the Kidco double
http://www.albeebaby.com/kilispdostls1.html but unfortunately you won't find it in stores. it has been discontinued and albee is clearing out the last few.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I've been looking at the "Sit N Stand" and the "Joovy Caboose". I think they both have standing platforms at the back but also a little bench that the older child can sit on if they're tired (they would then be facing backwards) but I'm going to wait because I will definitely wear this baby for a while and bring a stroller or a wagon for ds if we're going far enough that I think he might get tired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have found with a 2 yr old and a 4 month old that i really don't need a tandem stroller (at all). Usually the 4 month old is in the sling and the 2 year old wants to walk. The stoller is Great for packages at the mall and occasionally one child will sit in it!
Elizabeth

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cujobunny View Post
I've been looking at the "Sit N Stand" and the "Joovy Caboose". I think they both have standing platforms at the back but also a little bench that the older child can sit on if they're tired (they would then be facing backwards) but I'm going to wait because I will definitely wear this baby for a while and bring a stroller or a wagon for ds if we're going far enough that I think he might get tired.
we have this, we love it!

·
Registered
358 Posts
We have an InStep Double Jogging Stroller, and love it. We live in the UK, and we walk EVERYWHERE. I have only now purchased my first Mei Tei, and so lately I have been trying to use that and a small umbrella stroller for my toddler, when she won't walk. But, the double stroller is wonderful, and I really like that they can sit side by side. They do, too.

Good luck deciding!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.