Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my.<br><br>
"(04-29) 11:49 PDT OAKLAND -- A huge ball of fire from an exploding gasoline tanker truck caused an overpass in the MacArthur Maze in the East Bay near the Bay Bridge to collapse on top of the highway below early Sunday, virtually ensuring major traffic problems and confusion for weeks to come.... "<br><a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/29/BAGVOPHQU46.DTL" target="_blank">http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGVOPHQU46.DTL</a><br><br>
Any mamas from that area? Thank goodness it wasn't commute time.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">"This is amazing," she said. "It's almost as bad as the earthquake. I'm just thinking: how am I going to get to work tomorrow? I was trying to figure out my path."</td>
</tr></table></div>
It took years for some of those freeways to be-rebuilt or even torn down after the '89 earthquake. Since it is only this ONE freeway, hopefully the repairs will go much faster. I wonder how many people are not going to be able to get to work and loose money because of this.<br><br>
They also need to find a way to transport gasoline more safely. Or, at least require some kind of different licensing to carry it.<br><br>
We had a gasoline tanker crash into our backyard. It was 11pm and everyone was in bed. I shudder to think what would have happened had the pool not been there for him to land in. The Fire Department said that pool saved our lives and possibly the entire neighborhoods. If this is what it can do to a freeway what would it have done to a residential neighborhood?<br><br>
I have always heard, (but can't find anything on google) that the reason gas trucks are only allowed to travel at night is because one once exploded in a bay area tunnel during rush hour killing everyone in the tunnel. Like I said though, I can't find any verification of this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts