Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
potato starch/flour are not the same, as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Maybe different authors? Or maybe different brands in front of them at the time (for the tapioca starch / tapioca flour question)?

It's confusing, because potato flour is not the same thing as potato starch, they're not interchangeable at all.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
No. Potato starch and flour are not the same. Neither are corn flour and corn starch (and to make that one even more confusing, there's a place that calls corn starch corn flour, I think the UK, but they are 2 completely different items here in the US).
Tapioca flour and tapioca starch are, however, the same.
I would guess the same as Tanya that they likely just had different brands in front of them at the time.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
You can usually sub one for the other in gf baking, yes, but I wouldn't try it for something like gravy. Tapioca starch gets a really strange, gluey, globby texture when it's cooking.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
In baked goods, I've been able to sub potato starch in as well (instead of tapioca or cornstarch, or some combo depending on what I have). Haven't ever tried it for cooked things (stovetop-type stuff) but so far for bread-like baked things it's seemed fine to me (I always wonder if my standards are too low).

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
In baked goods, I've been able to sub potato starch in as well (instead of tapioca or cornstarch, or some combo depending on what I have). Haven't ever tried it for cooked things (stovetop-type stuff) but so far for bread-like baked things it's seemed fine to me (I always wonder if my standards are too low).

Potato starch works okay in place of corn starch, ime, for stove-top things and I've used it to replace other starches in baking as well.

I know Kathy prefers sweet potato starch though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.