Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
5,543 Posts
They don't permit any solicitation on their premises, so in fact they are just being consistent by not allowing SA to do it. Personally I find the bell-ringers annoying so I'm glad to know if I shop at Target I won't have to hear it.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Well I guess I do live in a cave of sorts- one w/ a nb and a toddler and outside it's snowing!
Anyway I ventured out shopping for the first time in weeks yesterday and hit- you guessed it- Target! Funny the first thing I said when we walked up to the doors was, "Hey, where's the bell man?" I didn't know about the whole banning thing. Hmmm...who can we write to?
They have some odd policies. In fact I think I'm banned from there myself- but only for returns.
:

· Registered
11,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but did you read about how they are soliciting donations IN THE STORE for St. Jude's through thier gift cards? what's the difference? it's not like the bell ringers chase you down. you can ignore them if they annoy you.

· Registered
2,668 Posts
I agree. I can't understand why all of these other places, who have no soliciting rules, allow the bell ringers and girls scouts when they chase everyone else off. Yhose bell ringers are so annoying, anyway. I certainly am not going to donate to an organization that tempers their help to the needy with preaching the gospel.

· Registered
11,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by khrisday
I certainly am not going to donate to an organization that tempers their help to the needy with preaching the gospel.
geesh I hope you will never need their assistance then.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Those of you who find the bell ringers to be annoying, I wonder why? It is a noise you pass only when entering or exiting. It is a very charitable cause.

My children are older now and when I am shopping, I get a huge headache listening to younger children screaming and crying up and down the aisles. Would I want young children banned? No! I remember those days. I feel sorry for the parents. It is a noise I must deal with every time I go into a crowded shop. It sucks but I stand it.

I am not understanding the intolerance here,,,,,,??

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Quote:
It doesn't bother me.

It's not like Target is the only place they can ring their bells, you know?

Just donate twice as much as you would where they *are* set up.

Yes, but, see, 9 million is a lot to make up. Target attracts the more upscale types.

Quote:
For the record, shoppers put $94 million into the red kettles last Christmas season, $9 million in front of Target stores. While a few other retailers have stepped into the breach-including B.J.'s Wholesale Club and Michael's, to name two new local participants-it's not clear that the Salvation Army will be able to make up the difference.

· Registered
5,543 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
but did you read about how they are soliciting donations IN THE STORE for St. Jude's through thier gift cards? what's the difference? it's not like the bell ringers chase you down. you can ignore them if they annoy you.
I did read it. So what, they have a sign by the register that says if you buy a GC part of it goes to a charity. That is corporate philanthropy and most organizations have groups they give to.

I really do see a difference between the St. Judes thing and the bell ringers, fwiw.

And ftr, I had DS put some change in the bucket when we passed a bell-ringer outside walmart last week. I don't have a huge problem with SA, although I don't care for the bell-ringing. I just don't understand why people are jumping on Target for "banning" SA as if they're violating constitutional rights, for pete's sake.

· Registered
11,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeUpMama
I just don't understand why people are jumping on Target for "banning" SA as if they're violating constitutional rights, for pete's sake.
no one's saying it's constitutional. it's just bad business IMHO. it's only 1 month out of the year and helps alot of folks out,yk?

· Registered
5,543 Posts
I htink that second POV (about the homosexual activists) just goes to show they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I think it's a prudent business decision to get out of the business of allowing one special group to solicit in front of their stores. If nothing else, allowing just SA probably makes them vulnerable to lawsuits from other organizations who would also like the opportunity to put their hand out in front of Target's upscale shoppers.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Why jump all over Target when other stores have the same policy? From what I understand, neither Barnes and Noble nor Toys R Us allow bell ringers. Why is Target singled out? From what I understand also, Target gives more to local charities than Walmart. Walmart is happy to allow you to give your money but doesn't give nearly as much of it's own money to charity.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other. I give to the SA at other stores so it is no big deal to me. It is Target's choice.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Quote:
If nothing else, allowing just SA probably makes them vulnerable to lawsuits from other organizations who would also like the opportunity to put their hand out in front of Target's upscale shoppers.
Hundreds of stores do this every Christmas. I think it is common practice to allow only SA......I would love to see many legit charities in front of these stores. I have no problem with it. I can't understand why anyone would be bothered by the bells?

I can understand some here saying it is up to Target. I would never boycott them because of it.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
I just found this article which puts a different spin on it..now this just confuses me even more. if this is the real reason behind it why do they (Target) still donate to the SA through the United Way?

hmmm..

http://www.christianpost.com/article...army.ban/1.htm

Makes me support Target all the more. I didn't realize SA was so anti-gay. I always hope that Christian organizations will behave in a Christ like manner but I am usually disappointed. I'll stick with the United Church of Christ charities.

· Registered
11,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I never realized SA was so anti gay either until I found that article

it still bothers me though for some wierd reason and I don't shop there all that much either

· Registered
1,103 Posts
I guess I was secretly pleased not to see them this year because of their anti-gay policies. I'm all for charity, and I do give (but not to SA), but organizations that are anti-tolerance masquerading as complete do-gooders irritate me. Ok, flame away...I know I don't have the popular opinion on this one. I dread addressing the Boy Scouts issue with DS in a few years.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.