Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi mumma's

just a quick question- i'm wanting to get a little tattoo on my breast (two little love hearts, symbolising my children and breast feeding and nurturing them) but am just a little worried if i have more children, can i BF with a tatoo on my breast? probably a silly question but i just want to make sure the ink wont make its way into my milk.
TIA

·
Registered
308 Posts
There is not really a risk of tattoo ink getting into your milk. The main risk with tattooing is infection, and an infection on/in your breast could theoretically affect your ability to produce milk. Proper care of the tattoo while it's healing would minimize that risk. There's also always a risk, however small, that you might have an adverse reaction to the tattoo ink, which could cause an infection no matter how well you care for the healing tattoo.

As long as you plan to have the tattoo fully healed before you get pregnant, it is probably fairly safe. I would not recommend getting a tattoo on your breast while lactating, or a tattoo anywhere while pregnant.

I have a tattoo on my breast that I got when I was 20 (almost 10 years before I had my first baby) and it has never impacted my ability to nurse.

-Joan

·
Registered
750 Posts
It should not affect breastfeeding in the future. LLL recently had an article about it if you go to their website and search the article will pop up. For the reasons the pp said if you are pregnant or early postpartum you should wait to get one so that your body can concentrate on healing the tatoo and you lessen the risk of infection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts