Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who do not get back very much but do not have to pay out at tax time, how many are in your family and how many do you claim on your w-4?<br><br>
My dh writes married/4 but we still get back a lot at tax time (I'm trying to figure out how to get more each pay period instead of them keeping it all year and then returning it.) We do own a home and we pay 5K a year in house taxes. We get back around 5K as well (4K federal, 1K state). I'd prefer that make each paycheck bigger instead of them making interest on our money all year.<br><br>
I just dont want to have to PAY at the end of the year. If we did married/6 I wonder if that would help?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
If you google "income tax calculator" you should be able to find something that will tell you how much you'll get back if you put in your DH's salary and his exemptions. That's what I used when I tried to figure it out.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
We don't claim everybody. DH doesn't claim himself or me. Just the children. Then at tax time he files all of us. I do not have outside employment and we have two children. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried one calculator but it's not working so I'll google it and go from there!<br><br>
I think we need to claim more....our property taxes are pretty high so I think that counter balances it or something.....

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Here's one straight from the IRS:<br><a href="http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96196,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...=96196,00.html</a><br><br>
Scroll to the bottom and click on "Continue to the Withholding Calculator"<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, mama! That tells me about how much we should get back....<br><br>
I think we should just add 2 on the w-4 and hopefully that would even us out a bit more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts