Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dh just asked me whether anything for homeschooling is tax deductible?

I looked quickly at the threads here and didn't see anything. It seems reasonable to me that one could deduct the expenses of purchasing texts etc., but that doesn't mean that the government sees it that way too.

Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
No ma'am, it's not. It might be nice, but with niceties come more government interferences.........
I'm in Canada, which explain my different POV. Gvt niceties don't always come with interference. I still hear that here too, but I think it's a myth. The two examples that quicky come to mind are the recent tax deductions we've seen here
-Kids exercise program allowance $500/child/year for activities such as soccer, swimming, hockey
-Public transit allowance. Just save your buss pass
-Home renovation allowance, it's peanuts but hey, if one was going to renovate anyway. (The only interference I can see with this is contractors may be forced to issue a receipt. Most "under the table" contractors will probably undercut the rebate anyway)

I think gvts only give niceties if it's a voter-rich issue. Homeschooling is not. Here in Ontario, one guy lost the election because he was proposing funding faith-based schools. Currently, only public schools and catholic schools are funded by tax dollars. Yes, it makes no sense that I help pay for Catholic Schools but I pay out of pocket if I want to send my kid to a Jewish school (No, I'm not Jewish. Just an example.)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The distinction isn't between home school vs public or private school but between elementary/secondary education and post-secondary education. K-12th is not deduced no matter the educational choice but college/technical education is.

We have public school options for home school and independent education where the school district pays for the books. Dylan will be home schooling through our local charter school. I will get the text books from them as well as monetary funds for outside classes. Along with teaching assistance/accountability (needed for Dylan), group field trips and activities, testing, record keeping, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
Federally, no.

IL allows a $500/year deduction for homeschooling costs (see Publication 19) and AK has some sort of $2,000-ish voucher or allotment or something--but only if you enroll under an umbrella school or something.

You need to ask a CPA in your state or a state-specific homeschooling group. I find CPAs are hit and miss for stuff based on what they've actually encountered but a large, state-wide homeschool group (or message list) should find you someone who knows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts