Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and I can't find any threads on this. It is a big deal here in NH. No discussion yet?

I don't know what to think of this story yet, so no comments yet. I can say the government seems to be pulling out some pretty big guns (literally) and I hope these two don't wind up dead in another botched government seige.

No links as there are a million out there with various different spins, just go do a google search.

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
http://www.onelocalnews.com/prescott...news&id=125204

Quote:
PLAINFIELD, N.H. - To avoid serving prison sentences for tax evasion, Ed Brown and his wife, Elaine, have locked themselves off from the world on their own terms.

The Browns raised the specter of the first case, the 1992 shootout at an Idaho property called Ruby Ridge, by holding a news conference Monday with Randy Weaver, whose wife and child were killed there along with a deputy U.S. marshal.

The Browns were sentenced in absentia to 63-month prison sentences in April, after being convicted of conspiring to evade taxes on nearly $1.9 million in Elaine Brown's income and of plotting to disguise large financial transactions.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I don't have any sympathy at all for those who evade paying taxes. None. It is their choice to break the law and put themselves and their loved ones in danger when people try to enforce the law. Like ti or not, taxes pay for services that both directly and indirectly benefit these people and they should pay what they owe. If they have issues with taxation, there are better ways to change the system than breaking the law.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard people say that there is no law for taxation (like the Browns), but then others say there is the 16th amendment to the constitution. I must say I'm confused about this.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Quote:
The government sure hates nothing more then not getting their money.
I agree. I have heard rumors for years about the illegality of the 16th amendment. I am not sure about the veracity of those rumors, but I personally am of the opinion that taxing income is regressive. Taxes can be collected other ways without making liars out of all of us the way the law is writtten now. There are codes and sections that contradict each other, so who is to know what is right and what is wrong?

Quote:
I don't have any sympathy at all for those who evade paying taxes.
If the law were more evenly enforced, I would tend to agree. Meanwhile I do pay my taxes, grudgingly, but I do, because I would be the type of person that would be put in jail and have the key thrown away.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I just think that there is a right way and a wong way to do things sometimes and when it somes to law, it's much less bloody to work within the system to affect the changes that you want to see.

The people who think the 16th ammendment is illegal are really looking hard to find things that woudl make it illegal. If they felt so strongly about it, they might want to oragnize and work the system in the same way that the pro-life groups do. Yes, it takes a lot of time to change things but slowly and surely, things seem to be changing on that front. I'm not trying to start an abortion debate but I am just using that to illustrate how some people are trying to affect change in a positive, non-bloodletting way through legal channels vs the people who, like this couple, are placing themselves and law enforcement officials lives in danger to make a point (not unlike those who kill abortion doctors to make a point). The violent way is NOT productive to change and simply makes those who are workign in nonviolent ways seem like "wack-jobs".

So, that is why I have no sympathy for those that break the law. As it stands, the 16th Ammendment is law.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.