Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know whether you can have a TB test done while pregnant? I have to get one before my son enters his coop preschool in September. I put a call into my midwife practice, but I have not heard back yet. TIA

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
not sure but I know for my tb tests I get chest xrays isntead of the arm prick because I pass out with needles. Of course xrays are a nono if pregg... maybe you can just get a note from the dr?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
It's okay, but not accurate anyway when pregnant (because your immune system is suppressed). I'd jsut get a note pointing out that there's no point in having it done and you'll do it PP.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
my MIL (who is a nurse) said that i wont be able to get a tb test while pregnant. she didnt really give me a reason why they dont.
if they absolutely require one, you can look into the sputum test. i've read about it a bit on the vax boards, but never had one done. its less common than the arm prick. (the school nurse at a school i subbed at had no clue what it was.) i guess you basically hock up a nice loogie (for lack of a better description) and they test that. i think it takes a few weeks to get the results back.
even if its allowed in your area to give a pregnant woman the skin prick test, i wouldnt do it. i think they put antigens under your skin, and it hasnt been tested for its effects on fertility. (there's more info if you do a search on the vax board.)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmysticprincessx
my MIL (who is a nurse) said that i wont be able to get a tb test while pregnant. she didnt really give me a reason why they dont.
Never heard this. I used to be a clinic nurse at a public health clinic and it's standard here to offer the PPD to pregnant women since active TB can advance rapidly in pregnancy and we serve a lot of high-risk groups. But it's not all that accurate in pregnancy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts