Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight at mom's group, after we had been there for 2 hours, a lady sitting 3 feet away announced she had just tested positive for TB. And I just researched it and found out it is spread through the air. Damn. The site says that people who are exposed to someone with TB should have a test 10-12 weeks after being exposed. I guess we never know what the people around us have, and I should be happy I know because she could have just as easily been the woman standing next to be in line at the grocery store... but, damn.

· Registered
2,352 Posts
Why would she be out and about while contagious. That would piss me off. I don't know a lot about tb - is that a ridiculous request that people with it to not go out and infect others? Not to be insensitive. I just don't know!
:

· Registered
4,300 Posts
dude that is borderline a public health threat! like when people have STDs and have unprotected sex without telling thier multiple parters! no offense to anyone who has had any of these illnesses, but when we are contagious we have to act responsible! especially with a life-threatening illness!

when it is HIV you can go to jail for doing that! (i mean for not informing a partner and having unprotected sex w/them) i would contact the moms group members and even call the health department or a doctor to find out if she should have been out! she was knowingly risking babies!!!!!! OMG that freaks me out!!!!

i am glad you know too, though.

· Registered
20,366 Posts

· Registered
5,455 Posts
Testing positive is not the same as being contagious.

Dh tests positive every time (his last test made him react so bad his whole forearm turned red and swelled up
No more tine tests--he's got doctor's orders on that one finally). But he's had numerous exams and chest x-rays for immigration and work purposes and is absolutely not contagious. And he's been cleared to work in the health field.

· Registered
437 Posts
Testing positive just means she has been exposed to TB. Has she had a chest x-ray? If her x-ray is positive then I'd be pissed but if it is negative you've got nothing to worry about. I am a nurse and there are a lot of RNs who test + but do not have the disease. Hope this helps.

· Registered
11,754 Posts
umm, I think I would inquire further about this person's TB. I know someone who's DH had it and he was quarantined for a time by the health dept and also had to go there daily to take his medicine.

· Registered
3,831 Posts
My husband tests positive on the skin prick test every time. But, his chest x-rays are negative. Some people just test positive. I'd not worry until you hear she had a positive x-ray.

How irritating of her to just announce it like that though. And, to not be respectful enough to stay away until she knows for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.