Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A doctor that I saw about a month ago told me to stay away from tea of any kind because it depletes the body of folic acid. Is that true? I'm very skeptical of that. Tea has many beneficial effects, IMO. Anyone know if that's true?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I specifically read that Green Tea does affect the body's ability to absorb folic acid. I asked my MW about this and she said "everything in moderation". In other words, my 1-2 cups per day were not a problem.<br><br>
I've been drinking tea throughout this pregnancy and my last one. Not a ton of tea! Just a couple of cups of hot tea every morning. My DD came out just fine... DS hasn't made his appearance yet, but I'll keep you posted!<br><br>
Also, I live in the South, where just about everybody drinks cold, sweet, iced-tea all day long. I haven't noticed a huge serge of children with spinal defects because of the tea. But that might be an interesting topic to research!

·
Registered
885 Posts
There have been studies that indicate that excessive intake of green tea can prevent the absorption of folic acid. You have to drink about six cups a day to get this kind of effect, though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Gosh, I hope not. Too late for me, anyway, since the crucial period for folic acid is immediately pre-pregnancy and in the early 1st trimester. I'm already well into the 2nd trimester and am still on my 2-pot-a-day habit -- though I do decaffienate it and usually drink black tea with milk, green tea sometimes in the afternoon, but not every day.<br><br>
I don't think there's a higher incedence of neural tube defects in heavy tea-drinking countries with comparable standards of living/medical systems, but in this case, I'd rather look at those broad demographics than some small study in a petri dish. Can the doctor give you a link to the study/paper/aritcle?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I hope this isn't true! I've been drinking a ton of decaf tea since I found out I was pregnant. I really just don't like herbal tea that much. I'm going to do a search for the studies now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts