Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the cloth diapering world, I am using Bum Genius 3.0 and so far loving them. I have a few questions:

my son (16 months) can easily drink 12oz in one go and then has a MASSIVE pee about half an hour later that almost always results in wet shorts and wet mumma
do you think this is failing on the diapers part (build up of detergent or something) or just the fact that 1-2 12oz cups is too much pee for them to handle? I have started to double him up with the liners (I use the new born liner as in extra pad in the 'boy wee zone') anything else you might suggest?

also, someone suggested I add teatree to the wash cycle to kill germs etc, but when I 'Googled' it I found mixed review on this, some saying it should never be used with pocket diapers?!

any 'real' advice from you girls would be great

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I would imagine that is just too much pee to reasonably handle. Doubling up on the absorbancy is the way to go (Infant prefolds or microfiber clothes from the automotive section of like Target or the dollar store are the cheapo way to do this). I only use TTO when I have to- I wouldn't add it in unless you were having problems with stink or rashes. It can cause build up. I think the best thing to do is to keep your wash routine simple and only make it more complicated if you start having issues.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have used small amounts of tea tree oil without difficulty. (very small amounts). However, i honestly would suggest that you need double inserts or purchase a different type of pocket stuffer -- such as an indian prefold instead of a microfiber insert. That would probably help you with the flooding that you soon is doing.
Amy

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
12 oz is a lot of fluids for any diaper to handle. More stuffings, less wear time should help.
I would stay to the side of caution on the TTO. I some parts of the world it is not used as freely as here in the USA due to the mixed type findings. Good for you for doing some homework first.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou
we went out this evening and i doubled him up with the newborn liners and we had no leaks and he had the diaper on for quite sometime. yay!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts