Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether it is safe to use Tea Tree Oil Suppositories in early pregnancy. I am in my 5th week and have been told by my Nurse Practioner that almost all the prescription drugs for yeast infections, (except Monistat), are class C drugs and therefore not safe to use in pregnancy. I have spent most of the day searching the net for information. Also, has anyone used Boiron Yeastaway homeopathic remedy successfully? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I haven't used that specific homeopathic remedy, but I have used a different one very successfully. It's sold over the counter in stores like Target in the aisle with the Monistat, brand name AZO.

Other people have had good luck with garlic, yogurt suppositories, acidolphilus, etc. If you do a search here for yeast infections, you should come up with some good info.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've used boric acid tablets in my pregnancies- and the remedy was recommended to me by both my midwife and a doctor.

Fill size "OO" caps with Boric acid (cheap at any pharmacy) and insert one overnight for 2 nights, one night off and then 2 nights on again. it's so effective (though messy) that if you catch it early, then you may only need one or 2 days. If your yeast infection is really bad already then be warned, that it can sting a little bit.

Make sure you also cut out sugars and other offending foods that yeasties like.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Shirada,

I'm no expert, but my naturopath told me to avoid using any essential oils during pregnancy. It may be worth looking into before you go ahead and use the tea tree oil ones.

Cheers!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I am worried because I used one last night after speaking with a respected midwife who said it would be fine to use them! I also read a lot that said clearly NOT to use the boric acid in pregnancy.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My midwife also recommended the boric acid suppositories, and I used them successfully to get rid of a terrible yeast infection. I also did an external wipe with diluted TTO 1x/day for 2 days. I'm in my 3rd trimester.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ame
Live Acidopholis is completely safe and should relieve any yeast over growth. You can take 3 pills upon waking and before sleeping each day.
You can also use them as vaginal suppositories, though I've had better results with the boric acid. Lots of non-sugared yogurt helps too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts