Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just learning about how to do things naturally. This is all very new to me and I'm not sure where to start. I would love to learn what I can use for cleaning that isn't harmful to use. I hope that makes sense. I use vinegar and water for windows and mirrors. I'm at a loss as what I can use for cleaning my tub. What can I use to get stains off the kitchen sink. Normally I use Comet or Ajax. Are they considered harmful. For dusting I use a damp cloth. That seems sufficient for the dust. Is there a list somewhere on this forum that has all this information in one place? Thanks

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
There are lots and lots of threads on this topic! Personally, I use only vinegar and water and baking soda to clean my house. I use vinegar and water mixture to clean anything that does not need to be scrubbed (countertops, sink, toilet, floors, etc.) and baking soda for things that need to be scrubbed (stovetop, bathtub, kitchen sink, etc.). My advice would be to use vinegar and water for anything you normally would clean with a spray cleaner and baking soda for anything you normally use comet or the like.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I imagine using these products would also cut down the cost for cleaning supplies.

Is ammonia bad to use? Our littler box is in the basement and we have one cat that some times misses the box and I generally scub the floors with ammonia. What would you use in a situation like this.

For the record, I love to clean and I like have my house smell clean. That is a bit of a stumbling block when I'm used to good smelling cleaning products.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beccaboomom
For the record, I love to clean and I like have my house smell clean. That is a bit of a stumbling block when I'm used to good smelling cleaning products.
It's funny that you say that, because I hate the smell of most chemical cleaners. Most of the reason I stopped using that stuff is because I hate the smell, and only secondarily on the general principle of not wanting to use unnecessary chemicals.

Vinegar gets things clean without leaving a smell. I put a little lavender essential oil in a spray bottle with water and vinegar, which smells nice while I'm using it, but the smell doesn't really linger. Really, though, I think that to smell of nothing is to smell clean.

I've wondered if we as a species are losing our sense of smell, because there's so much perfume in everything...it's just overkill. Then again, maybe I'm some kind of throwback.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The book "Clean House Clean Planet" is an excellent resource. That is where I started, and MDC of course!
Also, check out the recipes stickies at the top of this forum - lots of great info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts