Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering starting Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with my preschooler. I know he's young for this, but he loves language and has asked to learn to read, and the book says it's appropriate for some three and a half year olds, so I figured, I'd give it a shot. However... I don't think he has the fine motor skills for the writing part, nor do I think he'd be interested. We do work with mazes, etc. but he is not at all interested in coloring within the lines or doing more than large scribbles on the page, and he's pretty resistant to any correction along those lines.

I'm curious, has anyone tried these lessons and just skipped the writing parts, figuring that you can get the handwriting later when the motor skills catch up? or do you think it's better to just wait a year or so until he's more all around ready??

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I reviewed the book and this was one of the reasons I decided not to use it. I did not agree with them tying reading to writing...I had a child who was ready to start exploring how reading works, but not writing. I bought The Reading Lesson instead. It keeps reading and writing separate.

Ultimately, I ended up not using that for him very long either.....he's six now and using Click n Read phonics instead and doing really well with it. But Click n Read was easy for him to start in because of the work we had done with The Reading Lesson, and the Leapfrog video "Talking Letter Factory". I will probably start using some of the pages from The Reading Lesson with our younger son this fall.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I'm using it with both my kids (my 6 yr. old is almost done and my 3yo is halfway) and we totally skip the writing part. We do practice writing, but we do it separately. My 3yo has a dry-erase alphabet mat and book that he likes to trace letters on, and is starting to print better without having to trace.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I used it w/o the writing with my older dd, no problem. I am currently using it with my younger dd, including some writing- but she's ready for it.
My major issue with the program is that it can be very boring- I try to include other reading activities to spice things up, to keep interest.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I skipped the writing part with L for the exact reasons you listed, she was three at the time as well. It did not seem to effect the end result at all.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone for your insights!! I think I will go ahead and get started and just skip the writing piece for now.

Saphire, I'm curious, what kinds of other activites are you incorporating??

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
DS1 is in ST -- he is 14 months delayed in expressive language and falling behind more
:

All I can say is the "phonics" program we are working soooooo hard NOW -- "b ..bbbbbbbb ... B.... bat, ball, basket, bob, bbbbbbb, batman, black bbbbb" and so on and so on

BETTER help when we start to read -- if not i may go nuts

LOL

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
we started doing the writng but when DD just wasn't interested we stopped that part and just kept up with the sounds and reading part. she started reading outside the book around lesson 60 something

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.