Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you teach your child alphabetical order? My DD is 6 and currently working in a 2nd grade reading book and they have hit on a few things she doesn't know very well. She knows the alphabet but was totally lost when we got to a page that had a few problems of arranging short words in to alphabetical order. She totally zoned out and had no idea what it meant.
I plan to use some alphabet cards and let her sort those in order for a while before doing words but I'd love to hear what others have done? especially fun ways to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We taught alphabetic order by looking up words we didn't know or forgot how to spell. There wasn't any point in doing exercises in rearranging things before that - there wasn't a need to know, no end result to get to.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We used the dictionary/looking up words. Ds caught on very quickly. You might use a children's dictionary that isn't so intimidating and choose a couple of words that are far apart - bubble and rabbit. She might like thumbing through it, looking at the pics, and catch on naturally. The dictionary might provide the visual that she needs to make the connection.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
We have letter tiles on a magnetic board that we use with our spelling program. I just had the kids put them in order. They sang the alphabet song and arranged the tiles. It took my 2nd grader one day and my 5yo about three days to catch on. A very easy and useful concept.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.