Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used this level? Its new according to their site, and I'm thinking about getting dd1's math skills up to start that level this fall (just need to work on money and 2 digit addition/ subtraction) I wanted to hear how well-liked or disliked TT is at the lower levels, so if you have experience with 3 or 4 please let me know what you think of it. That's a lot of money to spend on math, but I'm willing to save up for it if its a solid program and will work well for us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have not used Teaching Textbooks yet, but I recently ordered Teaching Textbooks 4 for my daughter to use next school year for 3rd grade. We did the placement test online to see what we needed and she was at the 4 level. I have done a bit of research on Teaching Textbooks and I have seen many people mention that it is a grade ahead by the number so you may want to try the placement testing to see which you need to buy. I am looking forward to using it as I have read many great things about Teaching Textbooks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have not used it, although I liked the look of it. Our homeschool charter has a suscription with Aleks.com and I hear it is very similar. We like it a lot and most of the kids who homeschool with us use it too and love it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, dh looked it over and told me to spend this summer going over math with dd1 to get her to the level for TT3, and that this fall we're going to buy it. I can't wait, we're also going to buy an inexpensive laptop so that I can monitor how much she (and later her little sisters) does in a day with math. If she had her way she'd do math all day long............... lol

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Yes, be sure to use the placement tests and look at table of contents if there's any doubt. Don't use their level numbers (TT4, TT5, etc) for "grades"-most hs materials that have levels rarely correspond to typical grades IME.<br><br>
We are using TT5 this year and it's been a big hit for my son. He tested at the edge for level 6 so I had him do TT5 for the review and so glad I did-it's been right on. The first half was fairly easy but good review, the 2nd half has been new material.<br><br>
I do like having the book even though we don't use it daily. When he gets more than a few wrong in a lesson we can go back and redo the problems until he understands it.<br><br>
We'll be sticking w/ TT!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have not used Teaching Textbooks yet, but I'm seriously considering it for my daughter for next school year (she's 11). I really like the idea that she can get a complete lesson, as well as explanations of the answers to the questions, without me having to do anything. That might sound bad, but I'm super busy right now kicking up our home business to the next level, so I really don't have enough time to sit down and do a decent math lesson with her every day. And my daughter loves working independently anyway.<br><br>
I am only hesitating on this program because it is expensive. But, the CD-roms will be able to be used for the younger kids too, when they reach that level, so in that way I guess it isn't TOO expensive.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We`ll be starting TT in the fall, I think level 5. My ds just turned 8 and loves math, he`ll be starting grade 3 in the fall but he aced the TT4 test and did really well on TT5 test. A friend of mine is lending me TT4 for ds to use over the next few months to make sure he is truly ready for TT5, as I was quite hesitant to place him two grade levels ahead. After reading up more about it, they are definitely a year behind most other programs and my ds is about a year ahead in average math programs, so it makes sense to go with 5... He spent a couple hours on their site doing their practice pages and he loves it and can`t wait to get at it. I worry the textbook worksheet approach will get too dry and boring for him and I like the option of him being somewhat independent in this subject so I can put more focus on things the kids really need me to teach like science or history. My friend has gone with 6 different math programs over the years and found she loved TT, her 10 yr old ds is math phobic but he did well with TT, it really clicked with him and they`re sticking with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts