Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p> .</p>
<p>I was curious how any of you that are apprenticing have decided when your training will be complete? My main preceptor is also my closest friend making things tricky. I am very close to the end of my apprenticship (3 years with her about 100 births attended including doula births) I will take the NARM in October. We never really talked about when my training would be complete. She told me the other day that she considers me finished and has decided to start looking for an additional apprentice. She has been introducing me as her partner in our last few interviews. This is all wonderful and great, but she is still getting paid exclusively by the clients (as it should be) whether she brings them in or I do or we do together. I have made my wishes known that I would like to continue attending births with her past October. It is just an awkward place to be. I feel like a half baked midwife. I figure there are 3 things that help determine if you are a midwife : if you feel prepared, if your preceptor finds you competent and prepared and if requred for where you live and practice if you meet the primary midwife guidelines (CPM, licensed etc.) I just feel awkward in it all. I know it has been a problem in this area for preceptors to hold on to their apprentices for too long (hundereds of births and when they are finished with their training paying them $50 to attend a birth as a second midwife as well as apprentices who have left too early because they felt ready</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<p>I am finishing here because there was a glich and it wouldn't let me add anything. Anyways an apprentice feeling done and leaving even thought the preceptor disagreeing and then the new midwife having many problems and hosptial transfers that she couldn't handle. I don't want to fall into either of those categories. What have you arranged with your preceptors? </p>

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
<p>I really think that at the core of it, it is the parents who decide if you are a midwife or not.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It does sound like you are ready to be finished.  I think your only issue is getting paid properly :)  Just have a frank discussion with her and let her know that after October you will need to be paid the full assistant fee (whatever is considered typical for a second midwife in your area) and also that if you bring in the client and she assists you, that you get paid as primary and she get's the assist fee.  It's simply fair that way. If you are her 'partner' then you get half the money.  That's how I would see it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If she's your best friend I expect she will have the respect to deal fairly with you :)</p>

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
<p>I like what Sijae has to say... a frank discussion like she recommends will tell you whether or not a partnership is going to work.  And I recommend getting your partnership agreement in writing.  :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If it might help, here is what we did.  I had been working with other midwives for over a year when I signed on with my preceptor.  So we worked out a one-year contract (you might call it an Apprenticeship Informed Choice agreement!)... with the option at the end of that year to do another.  At the end of that year, we re-worked our contract and dated it to end in one year or when I became a CPM whichever came first.  In the 2nd contract, we stipulated that I was attending births with her for additional experience and that I would take on my own clients charging XX and paying her XX to supervise/assist.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am a CPM now and we haven't had time to rework a new contract due to personal things coming up for both us but we are going to do a 3 month contract to spell out who pays who what for clients we each have and plan to attend together.  By spring we'll be to the point where we will just be calling each other in to assist with twins/breech or as back-up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am really glad to have used the last year to get my own small practice up and running, it makes a nice segue (I've heard of some students finishing their apprenticeship and then taking a few months to have clients due, etc).</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts