Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Winnie has started yanking my nipple while nursing (ouch!). She isn't biting down, per se, but she just yanks her head suddenly to the side while she's latched on, and it hurts. Ugh. My reaction is to put my little finger in in the corner of her mouth, unlatch her and ask her not to do that please, then to let her latch on once more. Doesn't seem to help. I made myself a nursing necklace so she'd have something to grab onto while she nursed, hoping this would discourage the yanking thing, but can't yet tell. (She likes holding onto the necklace though.) But I don't know what else to do honestly.

She's also chewing on her fist and drooling quite a bit. And for the past three days, she's been a lot more fussy, especially when I lay her down. She strains to sit up, but then gets all squirmy and fussy when I sit her in my lap. She definitely doesn't like lying down even in my arms.

And we have a tiny lamp with a nightlight bulb in it that stays on in our room but lately she seems distracted by it? I hate to turn it off -- it's over in the corner and only gives us enough light to find our way to the bathroom, etc. Last night at one point I just held her in my lap and let her stare at it. That lasted a few minutes then back to fussiness.

The last two nights I've had to rock her to sleep and I've NEVER had to do that before. She typically falls asleep either next to me, in her swing or in the cradle right next to my side of the bed. But not the last two nights. Not until she was rocked for a looooong time.

Once she fell asleep, she slept fairly well throughout the morning (she's been sleeping through the night regularly for a while now), but it took a lot out of both of us for her to get to sleep.

She's holding her head up nearly 100% of the time now and I'm wondering if she might have sore muscles from this? We've been giving her Hyland's teething tablets but they don't always seem to do the trick, so I'm not sure if it's just a case of teething or something else as well. Could it be sore muscles? Tummy time is only about 15 mins/day.

FWIW, she's EBF, it's nice and cool in the house, her diapers fit her fine, and I haven't changed my diet. I carry her most of the time.

The only two things that have changed are the drool/gnawing and holding her head up.

Is it just teething issues? Is there something other than the Hyland's I can try? We give her a cool baby washcloth to gnaw on but she prefers her fist.

Is she just bored? Am I missing something obvious? She'll be 4 months' old on August 5th.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Renee

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
sounds like teething to me... the way she's yanking her head to the side is new to me.. but everything else sounds JUST LIKE DS... a few days later BAM... both bottom teeth sprouted....

Hang in there.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Sounds like teething to me (but I think everything sounds like it, LOL).

Do you know how homeopathy works? Well, no one really knows that, so just do you know about homeopathy?

It works best with single remedies matched to the main symptoms. Things like Hyland's are FANTASTIC, but when they don't really work, it means the symptoms and remedies in it don't really match. So it can't work.

When Hyland's stopped being the magic tablet for DS, I went to my homeopathy book (and bought another) and started really digging into what his symptoms at that exact time were. And I'd figure out which remedy would be most called for. My goal was to get a whole bunch of remedies to draw upon, but that got expensive so I haven't met my goal...anyway, if, say, that day's symptoms matched chamomile, sometimes Hyland's didn't work, even though it has that ingredient. But if I just gave him a homeopathic pellet of chamomile, if the symptoms matched it, it would work. Same for the other ingredients in Hyland's.

So I'd recommend, even if that isn't what this is, getting (or just looking at what you might have) some good home homeopathy books and working on getting some single remedies, for those times when the "shotgun approach" of Hyland's doesn't do the trick.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hey!!!

Sydney has been teething the last couple of weeks too... totally took me by surprise, I thought we had a couple more months!! (She'll be 3 months on the 29th) I didn't even recognize her early signs as teething.

She sounds similar to Winnie... drooly, yanking AND biting. I've found that when she yanks on my nipple she's just as happy to chew on something else, like her fist or my finger, so when she starts up now I just pull my shirt down & give her my finger or help her find her fist. I don't know if that will work with Winnie, but it works for her.

We're using Hylands now too. We gave her .04ml infant Tylenol a couple times when her teething/fever state was really bogging her down & keeping her from her normal eating/sleeping.

Good luck lady!!! Our babies will have the cutest little snaggletooth smiles soon!!!!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, mamas!

I think it is just teething -- and I was under the impression that it wasn't okay for me to give her Infants' Tylenol until she was six months' old?
I even considered if *I* should take some adult Tylenol and see if that would help her?

As for the homeopathic solution -- I'd considered that the blend Hyland's uses may not be zeroing in on Guinevere's specific problem, but the other remedies at my HFS are adult dose only. I understand you can't overdose on them, but given that it is a science based upon a gentle and balanced restoration of harmony, would 30x vs. 3x (for example) be effective? I'm afraid my knowledge of infant homeopathy is sadly lacking...

Anyway, will try the infant Tylenol tonight -- the symptoms are much worse at night I think....

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Funny -- Meade has been having many of the same issues, and I think it is teething as well -- one thing that has worked very well many times when he is so fussy is to stick my finger in his mouth and let him chew on it. Man, he goes to town, and settles right down! It seems to feel really good to him. He was doing that nipple yanking thing last week, too, but it seems to have stopped (watch, he'll do it tonight since I said that). I gave him some Tylenol (dosage right between the 2 marks on the dropper -- my SIL is a pharmacist and that's the dosage she told me to use for a 15 lb. baby) a couple of times when it seemed really bad and it did seem to help -- had tried the Hylands but that seemed to do nothing.

Mary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts