Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past three nights my daughter does not want to sleep for very long at night. Tonight, for example, she went down at 8:15 but was up at 9:45, 10:15, 10:45 and 11:15. Each time she nursed for a few minutes and went back to sleep. She's been like this for three days. She slept for a two hour stretch last night, and that's the longest in three days. She has been sleeping well for months, waking 2-3 times per night. During the day she is pretty much herself, maybe a little clingier than usually and just a tad fussy. Anyone have a clue what might be going on? I need sleep!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anything, folks? I lost track of how many times she was up last night. It was at least once an hour, and this morning, about every half hour. So tired...

·
Registered
221 Posts
My ds is almost exactly this age and I've noticed some separation anxiety, I think. We cosleep at night and he's always rolling over and touching me just to be sure I'm there. That works out okay, but naps are a hassle because I can't nurse him to sleep and walk away anymore -- he sends out little feelers to be sure I'm there. Some other mothers I know have experienced the same thing at this age, so my best guess is separation anxiety.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. We've been co-sleeping some, too. We generally don't. She's been sleeping in a bassinet next to the bed, but several times lately she won't let me transfer her and we end up just sleeping together. It woulnd't be a problem except she's a very restless sleeper and every move wakes me up. SO- I am dog tired.

·
Registered
429 Posts
my babe went thru a VERY similar phase recently. She slept best if I held her in the glider which I could do for a while, then I had to transfer to bed and just oh-so-gingerly laid down with her on my chest and me propped on a pillow. Then, I'd slowly slide down to laying and then gently let her slide down to the bed. I kept my arm around her. She was still more restless than usual, but after 4 days, things were back on track to 'normal.'

·
Registered
429 Posts
Also, I allowed for oodles of mommy time during the day! And all naps were on me during this time and then we slowly transitioned back to 'normal' napping (when only SOME are on me!)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think your daughter is much younger, but I posted a post like this about my 13-month old. He has good days and bad days but is very clingy and moody and all of that. Molars are coming in and he is about to walk -- I think it's always some big developmental change or growth spurt that makes them this way. I've been wearing him on my back a lot, which seems to help. And co-sleep -- you'll get used to it and ultimately you'll be less tired if you learn to sleep together instead of having to get up for him.

Just remember that every stage is temporary!

·
Registered
536 Posts
to you Mama! it is so hard when the little ones aren't sleeping at night all of the sudden!

DS started this about 7.5 mo and it was because he was really rolling and learing how to move around....they get excited about the new things they are doing and want to try them at night

Also, this really is a prime time for seperation anxiety to start around 8- 10 mo from my understanding.. It was a real awakening for me this time around because dd really didn't get sep anxiety from me.... she just would be happy with ANYONE
but DS is SOOOO different... he started to have a really hard time being away form me at about 4 mo and is still in the throws of it

I know how you feel, ds was up last night from 11 pm to 1:30 just smacking my face and rolling on me
: I just make sure to keep all the lights off and not "play " or give a lot of eye contact so he knows it is bed time..... he is practicing crawling
:

My favorite thing to remeber is " This too shall pass!" It is hard to see it at the time, but in a week or two you will be on to a new thing and this will be done

My suggestion.... REALLY try to nap when babe naps and don't feel guilty about it! The house work can wait....you will be a lot better for your little one if you have some sleep too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts