Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>
I have a 6 year old daughter who has been living with me for the past 18 months When she came to live with me she was addicted to t.v. andit is still an issue. I have given in to it and allowed her to watch it too much. I would like to cut back on it though. She thinks she is being punished if you don't let her watch it though. How do I explain is not that she is being punished. For her alot of it is a numbing and zoning out thing. The other thing is she has a very hard time entertaining herself therwise. If she is not watching television she wants me or my mother who also lives with us, to entertain her. I think she is old enough to begindoing some things on her own like look at books, color, etc. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Rebecca

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have two suggestions for you. The first is that you could limit her tv viewing to certain times of the day, such as when you are cooking dinner or something. That way you can simply say, "There is so much to do during the day that we need to make sure we have time to get it all done. Watching tv is one of the things we want to do, so we need to make sure there is time for it, but not so much time that the other things we want/need to do don't get done." If she asks to watch tv at other times, remind her that it's not tv-watching time. I'd imagine that eventually she will get used to this and not feel that she's being punished. Of course, you have to model appropriate tv habits, too, and make sure that you provide plently of activities during the day, both entertainment-type and household task-like.<br><br>
The other suggestion is one I just read about in a back issue of Home Educatiom Magazine. Allow your daughter to earn tv-watching tickets from you, to be used whenever she chooses (within reason, of course; no Sex in the City for your daughter!). She can earn these tickets by exercising (the suggestion in HEM) or, in your case, she can earn them by entertaining herself. For example, for every 1/2 hour she spends drawing, reading, playing with dolls, etc., by herself, she can earn 15 minutes of tv time. You may need to model for her how to play.<br><br>
HTH.<br><br>
Namaste!

·
Registered
73 Posts
A lot of us who have had children a little older placed have a problem with the TV and the fact that the children seem to need more entertainment then the average kids. Some of them (like my daughter) also never seem satisified with the amount of attention they do recieve... I have spent hours playing "Polly Pockets" and only hear--"we hardly even played and now you quit!" For a long time I could NEVER seem to give her enough.....<br><br>
Many families have gone so far as to get rid of the TV--but, I cannot live without it sooooo that was not an option for us. I have resorted to setting time limits to when the tv can be on.... I allow some in the morning after everyone is dressed and ready for the day and then the TV can be turned on After Dinner for an hour.<br><br>
As for entertaining my little girl I have actually found that She wants to help me do household chores... I usually don't like children doing chores because I am so picky but..... this has given us time together and she has great pride in herself for the work she does....<br><br>
I also SET a timer and let her know that we are going to spend 15 mins and play a game or read or just sit and talk and when the time dings I want her to find something to play with....<br><br>
Sometimes when I see that she is just sitter there stairing at me...and wanting my attention we do "Picked Plans" and this is where I give her a choice of two plans (fun, chores, or whatever).<br><br>
I think that my daughter just never had the chance to develop a safe imagination--her world was so scary that pretending is not normal to her...so I have had to work hard and TEACH her how to play.... We actually practice playing and as time has passed she is starting to be able to entertain herself more and more....BUT, the TV is a distraction and has not helped her heal or attach with me....so more often then not our tv is off. That is how I got hooked on the internet and ended up making my huge website!

·
Registered
753 Posts
We have the same problem with my younger brother before. My mom start to limit his tv viewing time like for example no tv during meals, tv viewing will only start at 9am to 11am(tell him that my mom needs help in household chores) and other stuff similar to that. Good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
We adopted our son when he was 2 and he was already a tv addict. His foster home had way too many children. The 5 toddlers were constantly in their highchairs, placed in a semi circle in front of the big screen tv. When Kannon first started visits with us, he only knew 2 words and one was tv. He use to point to the stereo and say "tt,tt" ( he thought it was the tv). We would say no tv but we can listen to music. Kannon is now 6, our home is 95% tv free and he loves all kinds of music. Beethoven, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, The Clash, Johnny Cash....the list goes on. He also likes to listen to books/stories on tape. Things like the chronicles(sp) of Narnia and Redwall, native american folk lore.<br><br>
After having said all that, I would suggest music and books on tape. In order to help her develop her imagination, I would avoid stories that she has seen on tv. That way she has to create the images and not recall what she has already seen. Also, I would suggest open ended imaginative toys. And not battery operated, push the bottom types that go be themselves.<br><br>
BTW, We only have one tv and it has always been in our bedroom. Out of sight out of mind. Good Luck..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts