Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any knowledge of using digestive enzymes for dogs? Molly is 8yo and has been on California Naturals Reduced Calorie Lamb/Rice for a few months now and she's still having pretty soft and frequent stools. We tried her on Evo Red Meat previously and that just brought on raging diarrhea. I was thinking maybe some probiotics and digestive enzymes might help her in the "poop department" and probably help her feel better, too. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?<br><br>
TIA

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Well for occasional poop problems, I give Dusti an opened capsul of my probiotics. She licks the powder up plain, it must taste good.<br>
We're feeding raw, so loose stool usually means that she didn't get enough bones OR that she got too many treats and simply adjusting the diet solves it.<br><br>
Frequent/continued loose stools can mean an allergy, which you'd have to rule out. Or possibly a parasite problem that you'd need to take a stool sample to the vet to test for.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very loose, but still somewhat formed poop is her constant- not an occasional thing. She never had the problem when she was on Rx dog food (Euk Low Residue)- but that stuff is awful! (and she stopped eating it anyway) The poop and her age and antibiotic hx is what has me wondering about enzymes and probiotics.<br><br>
She has no other outward allergy symptoms (itchy paws or skin or ears) like she's had in the past (she's a cocker spaniel, so allergies are common). I'm just trying to find some good recommendations, KWIM?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I'd definately try the probiotics then, since she's been on antibiotics. I know what they do to me! and just giving Dusti dewormer is enough to throw off her gut balance.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just started probiotics and enzymes today. I'd tried just probiotics, but didn't seem to have much effect- so I bought enzymes. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts