Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 7 month ds has eczema i guess. i don't know anything about it. causes? treatments?

he has it on the backs of his knees, armpits, under the chin, diaper rash area and in the creases under his eyes. poor thing

something i'm eating? something he's eating?

i understand it is genetic. i remember my sister having elbow and knee rashes as a 3-4 year old. and dh has sebhoraic dermatitis. that might be what ds has and the doc is just calling it eczema

any info would be helpful. i was prescribed a steroid cream to use for 3 days max but that doesn't seem to be a long-term solution

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Ds had a bout with eczema last month. His dr. said to watch for food sensitivites. Since ds doesn't eat solid food, I paid attention to what I ate. It seems that bell peppers seem to cause it to flare up. Ds's cleared up in a couple of days with the cortisone. Dr. said to lotion him up with a good lotion (no fragrances) like Eucerin. We've been doing that every day. His eczema has been almost completely gone since the first days of using the cortisone. He's had 2 very minor flare-ups, but I've used the cortisone one time for each and it took care of them. I've also noticed that limiting bathing to twice a week helps alot too. The dr. also said that most times children grow out of eczema very young.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is eating a lot of different fruits and veggies. i eat some dairy so maybe that is it.

the steriod cream did work to clear it up but then we went on vacation for a week and it flared up again while we were gone so i put some more on last night

i'll try lotion. i haven't used any on him ever. i've only been bathing him every 3-4 days just because its been so cold and we've been way too busy. so by chance that was a good thing i guess

thanks

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
My oldest had eczema off and on during his first 6 months, mostly behind his ears. I found that changing to a non-scented baby bath soap and laundry detergent helped. Plus ditching the fabric softener.
Also I put lanoline on the effected areas all the time. It really helped keep the problem areas from getting too dry and peely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.