Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a year ago I took a job with great pay, that just isn't the job for me. On the one hand I feel that the position was grossly misrepresented to me, but on the other hand I know that if I'd asked more of the right questions during the interview I would have never accepted the position to begin with. My supervisor said to me that it's a perfect example of someone working hard, in the wrong position. He's right. I thought it was a school counseloing position-helping people get back into school, turns out it was phone sales and I just haven't been able to meet the 'sales' goals.

I've known this was coming and have been looking for another job for about 6 months with only a few interviews and nothing has come of any of them. More recently I might be able to get a part-time retail position with a company that I use to work with, but that is so far all that I can find. It's coming down to the wire, and I will be fired on 07/02 unless I quit first, which is what all of my managers @ work are suggesting I do of course. BUT, dh and I agree that unemployment is better than nothing while I search for soemthing, and while it won't pay all of our bills it will keep us from starving and keep him from having to work so much overtime to make up my salary. I'm also earning my MBA and am thinking about also attending a local community college for a medical coding/billing certificate which we'd have to pay for out of pocket. Those seem to be the most available jobs right now. Plus I was hoping it was something I could eventually do at home.

So for everyone who has been fired or known someone who has been - how has that affected future job prospects? Of course my managers want me to believe that every future position will think I was robbing the place blind, when in reality it's just not been the right job for me. So for those who know - how do you spin this in future job interviews? What would you do - quit or get fired?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Do not quit! Of course they want you to do that so they don't have to pay unemployment. I've seen that tactic in action more times than I can count. Make them fire you. I cannot stress this enough. If you need unemployment to survive, then that is what it is there for.

ETA: I think future employment is not really something to stress over. I would just mention if it was brought up the exact line you used. Working hard, just not the right fit. This happens to lots of people.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
in the future, explain it as, "I have realized that aggressive sales was not for me. I am much better suited for a position that..."

hopefully, your supervisor will be willing to give you a recommendation for employment despite having let you go for not meeting sales goals.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The up side of a recession is that everyone who was fired or laid off during that time tends to get lumped together and being unemployed during that time doesn't look as fishy.

Sorry you are going through this!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If you are fired for cause you do not get unemployment. (At least in my state) If they want you to quit, tell them you will resign if they provide a nice severance package, including unemployment. Severance packages are negotiable. You sign that you won't sue them, and they provide cash and UI.

Good luck mama!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ladies:

Wanted to thank you all so much for your help w/ this. I did just get fired this morning. As it turns out I have at least one interview scheduled in the next week and many more resumes out. For some reason I'm not panicked - so hopefully that will last.

All in all it's been a very interesting experience - and a great lesson for me about choosing the right kinds of positions for myself in the future. I'm not Supergirl- and I can't do everything. Check: lesson learned.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussing why you are no longer with your previous company....I've heard people say:

"Due to company restructioning, the job position had been eliminated"

"My supervisor/boss and I both agreed that (came to a mutual agreement) that I should seek other employment."

Good luck on finding a new job!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.