Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh is being flown out next Monday for a job interview in Kansas City. He's had two phone interviews with them and this is the in-person, discuss compensation, have a realtor show you around the city interview.

We live in Baltimore, MD and I really love it. There's a big AP community. We go to a Mennonite Church. We homeschool and have a big homeschool co-op. There are lots of health food stores and farmer's markets. Living in the city means we're close to a lot, but we still have a good sized house with a big backyard.

But dh hates his job. So if he gets this, I want to go.

Tell me about Kansas City.

Homeschooling?
Health food stores?
Parks?
Farmer's markets?
LLL?
AP groups?
Museums?
Good neighborhoods?

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Well, first of all, it's in Missouri... well, there's Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas, but the former is much bigger, and it's the one people are usually talking about when they say Kansas City. The metro Kansas City area straddles the state line, though, so you might want to post in the MO section, too.

Anyway, homeschooling is easy in either state, there are tons of HS groups, at least one good art museum, a fun science museum, a Whole Foods and Wild Oats (and I just heard a rumor that Trader Joe's is coming), a few farmers' markets, as well as CSAs... and there's a big KC AP group.

Dar

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted in both sections.

Is there an advantage to living in one side over the other?

·
Registered
74 Posts
We live on the MO side and both work on the KS side in Johnson County. So for convenience sake, we could have set up shop in Johnson County but we have found much more for our money on the MO side in terms of housing.

And monkaha is correct, taxes are cheaper but the roads and lack of repairs are less to be desired.

There are a few different chain health food stores in the metro- Whole Foods since they bought out Wild Oats. Not to mention independently owned small natural foods stores everywhere. I have one just a few blocks from my house.

There are a few Mennonite Churches around the metro as well, although they are really more prevalent in the central area of Kansas where my DH is from. We met at a small Brethren college

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.