Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We are starting looking at apartments in the Boston are and Medford keeps coming up. I know nothing about that area. We currently live in a very urban diverse (economic, social, ethnic) area so you know where we are coming from. Is it a good place for families? Does anyone have any kids in school there and how do you like it?  How is the public transport in the area? Would would have a car but DH might need it for work several times at work, would I be able to get around with the kids (here we are masters of the public bus).  Anything else you can add would be great! TIA!</p>

·
Registered
497 Posts
<p>The town is pretty working class. It has Tufts U. there, but most of the professors live elsewhere. They built new Middle and I think Elementary schools not too long ago, so the buildings are nice. I don't think it's very diverse - I think it's mostly working-class White families, many Italian. It's not a bad town - reasonable crime rate, safe for a semi-urban town, but I don't think it has much beyond standard grocery stores, pizza shops, etc. Have you looked at massstats.com? That's a great resource if you're looking for specific things like school test scores, income levels, crime, racial make-up, etc. I think Somerville is more diverse and has a lot more to offer, but it is more expensive.</p>

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
<p>I live in Medford and yes, that is a pretty apt description.  There is alot of great stuff for families in Medford such as the Medford family network which offers classes, playgroups and an open play area for families that live and work in Medford.  There are lots of activities.  Medford has one of the few  Dec 31 school districts in the state so for a kid who is born in the fall, and will be 5 they can still attend school (my eldest is a November baby and could have gone this year if we weren't homeschooling).  The population is pretty diverse with a large number of Haitian and Brasilian immigrants as well as many Chinese and Japanese immigrants.  There are lots of Italians and Italian, japanese, and brasilian grocers.  There are very rich people Esp in West Medford to very poor people who live in the projects on Riverside Ave.  I've heard the school system is ok and there are also charter schools available later on.  Public transportation is buses but they're pretty reliable and it's about a mile to Wellington and Malden center from where I live, so my partners just walk to the T.  We have a farmers market in the summer in the whole foods parking lot.  It's a nice area to live in.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts