Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So dh has an opportunity to advance in his job and we would have to move to Pasco. SO all you mommas in that area give me the 411 on this city. Neighborhoods to stay away from, crime, the crunchy scene, the hippy scene, the gamer geeks too. Whats fun to do. Pimp you city....or not I just want to learn from those who know. This would be a huge scary move from the middle of Alaska so we need to make sure its the right thing to do.

TIA

--the chapmans

·
Registered
216 Posts
We lived in the area (in Richland - one of the Tri-Cities - there's also Kennewick) for 2 years (due to dh advancing in his job...) and I gotta tell you I had a hard time. The Columbia Basin is DRY and outside the cities there are NO TREES - just sage and tumbleweeds. Very dusty and windy. I didn't find anything crunchy there at all. I was worried about being so close to a nuclear facility (Hanford) - right outside of town. We like hiking and mountains and it's a drive to Idaho or the Cascades just for the weekend.... On the other hand I made a very good friend there and adopted our dog in Kennewick and she is THE BEST. So there you go..... That's just my experience.... OH... very good mexican food due to large hispanic population - especially in Pasco. Yum.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well, I live a bit away, but go there quite a bit, can't tell you about neighborhoods, but we have a good sized AP playgroup (started as all MDC mommas). I will let some of them know about this and hopefully they can tell you more!

It is dry - think the edge of the desert

·
Registered
6 Posts
excuse me, nak one handed, please forgive typos...

For the most part I have lived here since 1983. I went to school in Richland, college in Pasco. My first two apartments were in Pasco, then we moved to Kennewick before we got married. My husband and I have lived in Kennewick since 1994. Not exactly "crunchy" but there are some things if you really look. We do have a nice little AP group (HI Jess!). Comparing to Alaska, lol...we are in the desert. We don't really see snow. Every few years we will get snow, maybe 6 inches. We do get cold, although you probably wouldn't think so. We freeze a lot, but it is a lot drier than Alaska. Our summer will be a LOT different for you. From mid-July through the end of August we often hit 100*. Gosh, it rained yesterday and Friday and we set records here, lol. We DO get a lot of wind...a "breeze" here is 15-25 mph winds, we often have gusts in the 50mph range. I've seen small animals pinned to fences and porches moved from the front of houses. We also have occassional 'dust devils'. There is a very supportive homeschool community here, and a few co-ops, for those interested in that. The Columbia River can be lovely, I would avoid the Yakima River, and the Snake River is great for fishing.

The area here has grown a lot. I don't recommend the east side of Pasco. The south part of Richland and the north part of Pasco have grown a LOT. West Richland has areas that are very quiet. If you are interested in farming, there is land around here and some nice smaller communities where you can raise animals and still be close to the "city" and the perks of it.

We have three farmer's markets, so you can find one from mid-April to mid-November. There are also opportunities to get local organic meat and dairy.

However, it is a pretty conservative area. We are definately still a farm communitee with that mind-set. There is a HEAVY Republican presense. There are concerns about the nuclear power as well as the chemical depot in Oregon. Honestly, being here, we are pretty safe from both. The half life of any chemicals at the depot, they would be disippate before ever getting to this area. As far as nukes go, I grew up at them, my dad is a designing engineer and we have lived all over the country while he worked at different plants, so I may be biased
I don't have any fear of the nukes, they are really safe and I have NEVER caught a 3-eyed fish here!

There are a lot of cultural opportunities here as well, if you look for them. Plus, my favorite thing...we are an easy drive from Spokane for crunchiness, Portland for fun, Seattle for culture and shopping, the mountains for hiking and skiing, the ocean to see the beach, the waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge and the Palouse. We have so many different things agriculturally and our wine and beer industry is always growing. Don't know if your faimly hunts, I know so many in Alaska that do. There is reasonable bird hunting in the hills, but for deer and elk it is a couple hours to the mountains, but there are places to go.

Wow, maybe I should get a job with the chamber

Angi
mama to 4 crazy monkeys

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow maybe you should work for the chamber of commerence. So the desert part doesn't scary me much, grew up in San Diego and Arizona. I am not to big on the desert environment (well the lower 48 type) Fairbanks, AK where we are at is technically a desert, we don't get much snow it just never gets a chance to melt all winter. And are we dry, holy cow!!! I wake in the middle of the night with cotton mouth, it was terrible when I was preggers I drank about a gallon of water every night. DH is applying for the position. He would be working at the airport. I have been paroosing the realty scene and man are the house affordable and livable. We are in the $100-175k range, up here we could buy a home with a crack foundation, shoddy wiring, bad plumbing and in need of a new roof. In Pasco we would get our dream home. Its so expensive to live in AK. We pay ridiculous amounts of money for housing (people live with out indoor plumbing, yes outhouses are the bathrooms) and food is outrageous. Which reminds me I need to start making my own bread again. What about the natural birth/ midwife scene? hows that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rikiamber View Post
What about the natural birth/ midwife scene? hows that?
We have one free standing birthing center. We have a licensed midwife that does home birth, and a certified midwife that does home birth. One bills insurance, the other doesn't. Mine bills insurance, however she REALLY wants to retire. One of our friends had a homebirth, and I don't know her midwife, but she is in the area. I don't know if she has an office though, or bills insurance. The hospitals, not so great (IMHO). My first two were born at Kadlec (in Richland) and the last two were born at home. Kadlec doesn't allow midwife delivery, but Kennewick General and Lourdes (Pasco) do have MWs with privilege.

Working at the airport, I would suggest west Pasco, off Rd 44 or higher. It would be nice because they all have access to Argent which takes you to the airport. I lived in West Richland and worked at the airport, it is about a 25 minute drive, so not too bad. The road from Richland to Pasco is 70 mph, so it isn't much of a drive. The east side of Kennewick would be a short drive as well, if you were interested in big older homes. Personally I'm not one for new construction, while they are very PRETTY, the bedrooms are tiny and so are the lots. I live in an older neighborhood in the "old" part of Kennewick. My house was built in 1949. My next door neighbor watched my house being built and can tell me stories about it. This was all his property and he chose to sub-divide it. So we have larger lots (4 lots to a block), with large bedrooms (tiny kitchen, not sure if it is a great trade off), and the houses are distinct and have personallities. Of course they are also less expensive, so there are also a lot of rental properties mixed in and lower income families. Up side, lol, the thugs LEAVE our neighborhood to go to west Pasco and south Richland to make mischief, so we haven't had any problems. In the almost five years we've lived here we had a bicycle stolen, and that is because my husband left it in the carport, which went through to the alley, sort of too much temptation. Oh and my husband grew up less than a mile from here, and other than noise violations they never had problems there either, in the sixteen years they were there.

My mom lived in Ketchikan, when she was a teen-ager. I was in Anchorage, but that was in 1978 (I think, some where between 77-79). My cousins were dog sled racers, I don't remember much. I was five-ish. (yeah, lol, I know, I'm OLD
)

Oh a down-side that most don't speak of...the saturation of sex offenders is one of the highest in the state, and in the country. Not sure how/why we attract them. I have not found a community here that doesn't have at least one. I know of three in my neighborhood, but at least we know WHERE they are, and WHO they are, so we have SOME piece of mind.

Ooooh, and Burbank has some amazing property and houses, they are a bit out of the way, but your money can go a lot farther and it is still an easy drive to the airport. Burbank is a small farm town east of Pasco, roughly 5000 people. It is located where the Columbia and Snake rivers come together. It has some really nice parks and is super close to Ice Harbor Dam. Again they have areas (Burbank Heights) with really big lots some of the homes are old farm houses, and some are newer construction, most really nice. One of my good friends grew up in Burbank, in an old church, they still have the tower and the bell, it was pretty neat.

Wow, I am tired, I know because I start to ramble on about silliness and useless information. But I have to say, all in all we really like it here. We have considered leaving, a few times, but this is what feels like "home" for us. DH and I both moved growing up, both because of nukes, DH because of the Navy AND nukes. Both of our families made homes here. I don't miss the green so much, but if/when I do, it is easy to get my fix with a weekend trip, or a day trip to Spokane.

Angi

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heehee I am imune to nukes anyways, spent 4 years on an Aircraft Carrier in the Navy. Thank you so our much for all your help and information. I love the rambling and I think your story about your home is soo wonderful. DH is looking at the crime rate and comparing it to Fairbanks and the Tri-Cities comes out on top as the safer place to be. Funny since we also have a fraction the people. We are seriouslly looking though and all this info helps alot. THe sex offender stuff is scary but I know that with moving out of FBX I will have to watch my kid more anyhow. Up here it is very small town minded, mind your own business, look out for your neightbor etc, heck we dont even have locks on our doors and I leave my keys in my car ignition at night (only at home though). I love FBX sooooo much but its time we move if we want to make a change for the better. We are wasting our money here paying over $1100.00 in rent for a less than adaquate place and $3.00 a pound for apples (just an example of our food prices). I will miss out on my Alaskan summer, fishing, berry picking and the great endless days of summer, but also less sketers to fight off.

Thank you sooo much. I still want to hear more from others, even if its not so good thats okay. I could talk up Fairbanks but still tell you that bad too.

Thanks again for everything, maybe some day soon you will have a new mommy in that AP play group.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think Yakima is about an hour away from 3cities.

I lived in Richland for a few months and hated it.

If you don't have a boat and fake nails and a fake tan, you're nobody.

It reminds me of Phoenix about which I also have nothing positive to say
:

·
Registered
5 Posts
We lived in Pasco for 4 years, just moved to West Richland last year. We lived in West Pasco...I REALLY suggest that your family rents and appt or house until you get to know the Tri-Cities. And find where you like best ie neighborhoods and stuff like that. There are some areas there you'd probably like to stay away from. And areas that you might love. Take time to get to know the area BEFORE you buy.

I'm also with the AP group here LOL.

Shelby,
mama to Reece 3 and Colby 13 months

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So its almost decided that we are going to become Tri Cities residents. Its just a better deal all around. We were looking at an incredible home 2 blocks from the river that just had the space and amenities we are looking for plus an amazing yard. The move would be rough because well we cant really drive the ALCan in December, its a death wish. Ds, the dog and I are going to fly. Dh is thinking of shipping our stuff (what we decide not to sell) down there. Its going to be pricey eather way we go. But that home is our american dream. The neighborhood looks clean and nice too. I am kinda scared kinda excited. I will miss AK very, very very much but home is where your heart is and my heart is with DH. This waiting will be torture....so I shall clean an purge our home in the mean time.

SO tell me what its like to be a w/sahm and AP in the tri cities area?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.