Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today, dd (nearly 2.5 years old) wanted to hear stories at lunchtime and requested that I choose the books and surprise her. Since we have recently moved to a new home, many of our books are still in various boxes and piles around the house, and I knew dd would appreciate my selecting some that had been out of rotation for a while. Among the books I chose, I included an old favorite, Polar Bear, Polar Bear I can't say exactly how long it had been since I last read it to her, but it had been a verrrry long time. When I began to read, she looked up at me with one of those pensive expressions that seems to say, "How exactly am I going to tell you what I'm thinking right now?" and said, "We did this one before Max's party." You know that blank feeling, like, "What the h*** is she talking about???" First I had to remember who Max is (preschool friend), then I had to remember his party (last December) and finally, to figure out why my reading this book to her before his party would stick in her mind. At last, I recalled that when we arrived at the JCC, the rain was teeming and I wanted to wait until it subsided before leaving the car. So I pulled dd out of her car seat in the back, sat her next to me up front, and read her the few board books we had in the car until the rain let up. It just always interests me that THEY remember and I don't! Share your most recent (or most amazing) memory story! I have one about my son, too, but I'll save it for later.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
DS1 is always talking about random memories. A few weeks ago he kept going on and on about some trains he played with. They did this and that and the other thing and it was so much fun. I kept nodding, wondering where he played with these trains. Then he said, "We should really go back to cousin X's house. His trains were so much fun." I was flabbergasted. "Cousin X" is actually my first cousin but only five years older than my son - he lives a twelve hour drive away and our one and only visit to see him was two years ago this Thanksgiving.

DS1 also occasionally talks about a vacation to Las Vegas we took two years ago this month.

· Registered
635 Posts
Maybe this isn't so amazing, but last year we spent a weekend in NH. We're going again and we couldn't remember the name of the motel. We asked ds and he immediately told us, and the exact dates we stayed there. I wouldn't think much of this, except that I have students of 10 or 11 who tell me they're going on vacation next week, but have no idea where.
:

· Registered
16,471 Posts
Wow that's pretty incredible, especially at her age when long term memory is just forming!

My dd is 5.5. When she was 2.5 two things happened. One is we used to go to play dates with a friend whose daughter had a pink Barbie electric car. The other thing was that I had a red bike trailer that I sold when dd was 2.5 years old because it hurt my knees.

Well we have not seen the friend or the bike trailer since then. A few mos ago she saw a car similar to friend's car at CostCo and she said, "Hey that looks like Jessi's car, except hers was pink." Then last month I got a new bike seat for the back of my bike for dd2 to ride in. 5yo said, "Remember when I used to ride in that thing behind your bike? It was fun. " I was skeptical that she remembered and asked her what it looked like and she said, "It was red and grey and had big bike wheels and windows in it."

· Registered
511 Posts
DD remembers the name of every bunny that she has had her pic taken with for Easter. Sure, both bunnies were named Caramel but the first time that it happened, she was 2.5....the next time, 3.5. She will still point them out in pictures and remind us which is "Car-mo 1" and which is "Car-mo 2".

When she was 2, we attended a birthday party in which a little girl lost her balloon (she let go of it, it drifted to the ceiling) Everytime that we go somewhere and she sees a balloon on the ceiling, she reminds us that R. lost her balloon at the birthday party and that no one could get it down for her.

Most amazing though....she remembers when she started walking. She will tell us that it was really hot and dark (it was back when the transformer in Niagara blew and we were without power for a good four or five days) and that she walked to come and find me. (which she did) She started walking at 11 months!

· Registered
3,212 Posts
DS's memory truly floors me. Just recently we were in a sign shop that we hadn't been in for at least a year. They have a decorative frog that sits on the desk and it has candy in it, but you can't see the candy from DS's point of view, just the body of the frog. As soon as he walked in, he asked for candy from the frog. How does he remember???

He also remembered DH's family members BY NAME when we visited this last spring. He had last met them at the age of 20 months when we visited the previous year. I was absolutely floored.

My parents take in exchange students every year. I usually don't go to say goodbye when the students leave due to work, but DS goes with my sister. This year I was able to go with them to say goodbye and the drop-off was at a church in Dallas. It was the same church they used the previous year. As soon as we got there, DS asked my mom if he could go play with the ball. Apparently, he remembered that my mom took him to the gym to play the last time they were there (a full year before).

· Registered
12,651 Posts
hmm i have noticed interesting things about my dd's memory. she has some where she remembers something from long ago. so at 2 she remembered a particular incident when she was 1 but at 3 she didnt remember that at all. when she was a baby she would cry if someone recited her favourite book - brownbear brownbear in teh wrong order. we went back home to asia twice so far - once when she was 8 months old and once when she was almost 3 1/2 years old. when we are there we are constantly visiting our extended family. this time i would give her an idea of whom we were going to visit. so this time when i told her and described which of my aunts we were going to visit she told me she didnt like their house. they have too high ceilings and too many doors adn windows and their dogs bark is too loud. this was one memory that totally floored me. when she was 8/9 months we only visited this aunt of mine once - only once for a few hours.

for her second birthday her father bought all these balloons -15 to 20 (a bone of contention between my ex and me because i had asked him to buy the balloons and he bought the expensive character ones instead of the regular rubber balloons) and since then near each birthday she talks about lots and lots of balloons and how her dad bought a caillou ballon for her friend (he did go back and buy another one since we were short and he did just get a caillou balloon).

yet the same child cant remember what she did at preschool the same day or what she ate for breakfast.

· Registered
2,920 Posts
When he was 12 months old my son and I went to visit a friend in hospital when she had a baby. 18 months later, he was extremely sick ... DH and I made the decision to take him to the ER at 3am. In his delerium he slurred from the back seat of the car "who had a baby and why are we visiting them while the moon is up". We hadn't been to the hospital since the day - just after his first birthday - that we visited my friend and her baby.

· Registered
2,811 Posts
The other day my son, 10, was writing something and said "When I was a baby I used to have trouble staying on the line and my letters would go up this way, remember?" He hasn't written like that since he turned 3, and all his old workbooks and stuff have been stored away for at least 6 years due to a move.

· Registered
100 Posts
When my son (now 13) had just turned two we were packing up to move from Michigan to Maryland. I was getting the rental breast pump packed up to return to the lactation consultant - I hadn't used it since ds was 10 months old and it had been on a shelf in our closet. He looked at it and said: that machine goes ruhr ruhr, milk comes out! I couldn't believe he remembered it. That was the most amazing thing to hear! Now he can't remember which homework assignments are due when, but that is another story!

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisac77
DS's memory truly floors me. Just recently we were in a sign shop that we hadn't been in for at least a year. They have a decorative frog that sits on the desk and it has candy in it, but you can't see the candy from DS's point of view, just the body of the frog. As soon as he walked in, he asked for candy from the frog. How does he remember???
Both my kids have this unusual ability to make associations with places and objects. or places and events. That's exactly how I think of it, as associations. If we go somplace once and have juice (which is an uncommon drink for my children), but then we return a year later, they will ask, "Are we going to have juice?"

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lckrause
The other day my son, 10, was writing something and said "When I was a baby I used to have trouble staying on the line and my letters would go up this way, remember?" He hasn't written like that since he turned 3, and all his old workbooks and stuff have been stored away for at least 6 years due to a move.
Was it frustrating to him that his letters went "up" rather than sitting on the line? If so, definitely memorable!

· Registered
2,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by teachma
Was it frustrating to him that his letters went "up" rather than sitting on the line? If so, definitely memorable!
Yes, that is exactly what he said, that it used to frustrate him! So funny you should say that.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's another weird memory thing dd had going on for six months or so when she was a year-ish old. Once, our old next door neighbor had a playdate, a girl named Emily. On our way out of our house, we saw the neighbor and friend playing in their front yard. As we were getting in the car, dd heard a sneeze and asked, "What's that noise?" I said, "I think Caroline's friend Emily sneezed." Well, EVERY TIME dd heard the name Emily (pertaining to various Emilys we know) she used to say, "Emily achoo. In the grass." It was so predictable. But is it "normal" at all for kids to get sooo hung up on a particular, meaningless detail of life? Sometimes I wonder...

· Registered
2,136 Posts
When ds was little we lived in a apt that had a pool. One day, when he was about 17 months old, I was carrying him down the steps that led to the pool area. I lost my footing and fell, but kept him held up. A man was walking by and he said "Are you okay, Ma'am?"

Fast forward to sometime after ds's 3rd birthday. He says something along the lines of "Hey mom, remember that time you fell down the steps and the man called you mom?" Being totally perplexed I told him no. He said "You remember! We were going down the steps by the swimming pool at our old apartment and you fell down and the guy said "Are you okay, Mom."

· Registered
4,430 Posts
Quote:
If we go somplace once and have juice (which is an uncommon drink for my children), but then we return a year later, they will ask, "Are we going to have juice?"
Oh, holy heck, yes. My DD (2.5) has a mind like a steel trap for these sorts of details.

Quote:
"Emily achoo. In the grass." It was so predictable. But is it "normal" at all for kids to get sooo hung up on a particular, meaningless detail of life? Sometimes I wonder...
This is EXACTLY something she would do. I'm trying to think of an example--but yes. It does seem a bit odd at times...

Frequently I have to ask my husband, "Do YOU remember us doing xyz at abc? Does that sound familiar?" And he'll hem and haw..."OH--wait. Yes, one time last fall I did take her for bagels there."

Recently she has startled us by clearly recalling events from early last summer, when she was about 16 months old. She brought up the inflatable fish pool we had for about 3 weeks till it sprung a leak (at which point we threw it away). "Remember the other pool, the blue one with the fishes on it?" She also told us about a visit we made once to an out-of-the-way public pool last summer. ("There was a purple ball and a yellow ball, and Dada threw them in the net." Ohhh yeah--there WAS a pool basketball set.) What fascinates me about this is that although she was speaking in short sentences at 16 months, she would not have been capable of that sentence. ??

She also can rediscover a book we had out from the library one time months ago, pick it up, and recite it.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
So I told my ds that I told some mommies the story of something he remembered...a few days later, he asks me to please take the story down because he doesn't want stories about him online and he's pretty embarassed I shared it and he really doesn't want stories about him shared with anyone other than his family...
Though I do have to respect that, so I'm writing this instead of the cute story....sigh....

· Registered
15,162 Posts
My kids do things like this as well, but because they're so young they don't have a huge, multi-year timeline to go back on.
So, BeanBean will say, "Remember that time that you got lost and we found that Turkey Hill with the lower gas prices?" but that only happened a year and a half ago.

My niece BizzyBug has the scariest memory for things, and she remembers them exactly as she hears/sees them. I can say something like "Patella is another word for kneecap," and then two years later ask her "Where is your patella?" and she'll say, "Patella is another word for kneecap," and point to her knee. I just asked her last week where her cochlea was, and she said, "My cochlea is in my ear," just like she did when I first mentioned it to her about 2.5 years ago.

· Premium Member
12,443 Posts
When our son was about 20 months, we were visiting my parents, and they were doing construction on a site near the highway - he was highly interested in the trucks. We drove by it two or three times tops.

A year later we were there again (they live a long ways away and so we only go when we can fly), and he looked at the now completed construction and said "The trucks are gone."
:

Just last week, he said to me "Remember when I was 3 and we went on vacation and we saw those big faces in the mountain?" Well, he wasn't 3, he was 2!! That was 3 years ago. It made a big impression on him because it scared the pants off him, I'm afraid.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy

My niece BizzyBug has the scariest memory for things, and she remembers them exactly as she hears/sees them. I can say something like "Patella is another word for kneecap," and then two years later ask her "Where is your patella?" and she'll say, "Patella is another word for kneecap," and point to her knee. I just asked her last week where her cochlea was, and she said, "My cochlea is in my ear," just like she did when I first mentioned it to her about 2.5 years ago.

THIS is my son (6 yo). If something comes up in conversation, he will interject the facts/information exactly as he heard them, regardless of how long ago. That's one aspect of him which originally had me wondering about Aspergers, actually. And he'd recite whole books (like, "real" books with 20-30 pages of small print) long after last hearing them. One of my craziest memories is of ds at Chanukah, age 3.3, reciting Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins verbatim after having heard it last one full year ago. He knew which part of the story to say with each picture I showed him. Completely mind-boggling.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.