Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the idea sugar is bad for me, but why? I tried searching on here but came up with surprisingly little

thanks,
~Nay

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sugar is so addictive, yet tastes so good
: . I have problems with sugar (like it too much) but it is true that if you increase good fats in the diet, sugar cravings decrease. One of the reasons I think sugar is so bad is based on how your body responds to it. For instance, if I eat something sugary, while I'm eating I initially feel good, then about thirty minutes later I feel so, so lethargic and terrible (insulin rush). So I know that it can't be doing something positive in my body. Also sugar (especially refined) has no real nutriitonal value. Also it causes candida to go crazy in the body, which all that yeast makes you crave more sugar
:. So really its a no win situation with sugar. It hard to get off of it, but eating traditionally helps with the process.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I posted an article here recently about how harvard researchers found that saturated fats weren't as bad for your heart as they thought. Of course, us NTers already knew that. In the article though they said that they think that refined sugar must now play some role in heart disease. Its just nasty stuff. I feel so much better by not eating as much sugar. My ILs are here visiting and they eat lots of sugar. All they do is sleep and eat it seems. They still need several cups of coffee to get going in the mornings even though they just slept 9+ hrs! I used to be that way too. Its scary!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great information! Thanks everyone.
I'll read those links and books.

What is the best substitute for sugar that still tastes good in recipes?

~Nay ------>

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post

~Nay ------>

Anybody have an opinion?

~Nay

·
Registered
568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
Great information! Thanks everyone.
I'll read those links and books.

~Nay ------>

Depends on what ur making, I use Maple Syrup, Honey, Sweetleaf Stevia
HTH

·
Registered
709 Posts
To me it just depends on the recipe.....I don't have any "regular" sugar in the house any more. I use a combination of sucanat, sucanat w/honey, raw honey, agave & maple syrup.

I haven't found a good taste for Stevia or xylitol yet but I know many people who love those too.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
What about other, less refined forms of sugar cane? Is evaporated cane juice any better? What about the demarca cane sugar?
Nobody's answered these questions yet! If I'm going to use some amount of cane sugar in my diet (and I don't think my kids are ready to go without) then what's the best choice?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Nobody's answered these questions yet! If I'm going to use some amount of cane sugar in my diet (and I don't think my kids are ready to go without) then what's the best choice?
I think rapadura/sucanat are evaporated cane juice. NT gives it a thumbs up as a replacement for white sugar, with the usual caveat that any sweetener in excess is a bad idea.

Also, and I'm less sure about this, I think there used to be some difference between the two but now they're the same and that one is just a brand name.

I'm trying to use honey more and more, because it's locally available. We use stevia in our tea and rapadura in baking.

To the OP, I'm sure it depends on your individual nutritional needs, but sugar is one of the worst things out there for me and DH (especially, but not only, because we both have a history of diabetes in the family). I have downright addictive behavior with it and so I really try to steer clear of it when I can.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I think sugar is sugar is sugar.
Unless it is corn syrup.
So, I use whatever I want-- except corn syrup or artificial sweetners.
I don't see why one should avoid sugar, unless one is vegan.
Of course, you shouldn't eat much non-fruit sugar anyway.

eta: oops, sorry, just realized this is the NT forum. sorry!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
I think sugar is sugar is sugar.
Unless it is corn syrup.
So, I use whatever I want-- except corn syrup or artificial sweetners.
I don't see why one should avoid sugar, unless one is vegan.
Of course, you shouldn't eat much non-fruit sugar anyway.
I don't agree. DH and I both react to refined sugars including refined carbs. By react, I mean it will set off DH's bipolar and I will get mood swings and allergies. We don't have the same issues with whole, nutritive sweeteners such as sucanat/rapadura, unfiltered honey, and stevia. Although the nutritive sweeteners are WAY better, they still need to be bundled with lots of fiber and fats to be tolerated well.

Anything refined, such as white sugar and table salt are stripped of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. The things that are stripped out are really needed to help the body process and incorporate the food properly. This is one of the premises of eating whole foods. Refined sugar, salt, and other refined foods can act aggressively in the body, causing deficiencies in vitamins and nutrients and food cravings.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've been working on cutting out sugar in all forms recently and it's hard--I'm really addicted. I wanted to suggest organic unsulphered blackstrap molasses as a sugar replacement as well. It has a very heavy, distinctive taste so that are certain things that it won't work for, but I've had alot of luck with it. It's high in iron and I think several minerals as well and my daughter loves it in all sorts of things--homemade puddings, over oatmeal, in sweet breads.

My grandfather died of cancer in September. He was a foreman in a sugar refinery for most of his adult life, maybe 30 years or so. The cancer appears to have started in his lungs. When he was first diagnosed, the doctor said that it was likely exposure to chemicals used in the refining of sugar that caused it. While any form of sugar will cause your body to react in similar ways in terms of digestion and hormones, not all sugars are the result of a chemical-laden process. For weight loss, it's wise to avoid all sugars. For natural, healthier eating, natural sugars (molasses, maple syrup, and honey are our favorites) and substitutes are probably a safer way to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.