Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What functionality do you love? What would you have in your perfect apron? Are there any apron patterns you've been meaning to get for ages?

Especially interested if people have had luck with toddler related items like having a washcloth on board and such.

· Registered
594 Posts
i have an anthropology apron that i am IN LOVE with. it has a pocket and is frilly and pretty and vintage feeling.
i wrap my waist tie around twice and tuck a dishtowel into the side. when i'm not 30 weeks pregnant it is near my hip, perfect for snotty noses and quick spills. old flatfold diapers also work well tucked.
if i could have the perfect apron, it would be the one i have but with two pockets instead of one.
etsy has some great apron patterns that are vintage based. i find the women in the 40s and 50s really knew what they wanted in an apron so that is the era i shoot for when getting a new one. full coverage, easy ties, big pockets. patterned fabric to hide stains.

· Registered
2,485 Posts
I made 1 that is a full body as in from nuck to knees. Ive found it hard to nurse in & I made it out of 2 layers & find it to heavy. Im gunna make another that is just the skirt & probably only 1 layer thick. I will also put 2 pockets on it.

· Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I don't have one that includes all my favorite features, but I hope to make one after I'm un-pregnant (and can tie one all the way around me again!).
It needs to have:
-a bib (none of this bottom-half-only stuff)
-pockets
-a D-ring neck closure for easy loosening and tightening
-thick fabric or a double layer so a little bit of splashed water won't go right through
-no need to be ironed when it comes out of the wash
-no need to be washed separately from our reusable towels and napkins (no bleeding colors or fragile lace)
-a matching apron for DD and her doll, because that is very important to DD

· Registered
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:

As a starter-apron, I sewed some straps to a dishtowel and sewed a washcloth pocket to the front.

If you have an apron with one pocket and the pocket is larger, have you tried splitting the pocket with a seam?

I like the idea of the loops for holding cleaning sprayers, but not until Lina's old enough to help out more instead of trying to climb onto me and nurse while I work.

Anyone have a non-clumsy way to carry trash until you get to a can?

· Registered
2,591 Posts
My 2 fave aprons are my fave because they provide maximum coverage. One is a smock, the other has a wide V-shaped bib, both busy prints. I like to have my shoulders covered as well as my chest, either for drooly baby or messy faced toddler, and don't even get me started about messy kiddo hands! My mom got the smock one from some Amish store, and it's great except I feel like I should be on The Waltons when I wear it.

· Registered
5,274 Posts
My apron I had DH get me for Christmas is wonderful. I cannot stand anything hanging from my neck (can't wear necklaces or anything), so it's one that crosses over the back and buttons on the sides. It covers my whole front, I always splash water on my tummy washing dishes so anything less would be pointless. It's cute and feminine, white and fitted, with sturdy lace details. It's got a pocket. http://roses-and-teacups.com/aprons.php the rose battenburg one there.

eta: it's pretty easy to push aside to nurse in too.

· Premium Member
14,435 Posts
My current fave is from Dot's Diner and it's in my avatar picture.
DH got it for me and I love the way it fits/looks! I have a total "domestic diva" feel when I wear it, even if I'm just doing dishes and wiping noses. I'd love to get a few more from her, and it's the apron I grab for daily wear.

It's not my fave in terms of function though since it's a half apron. I have a few from Boojiboo that are good looking and functional (shaped front for flattering coverage, pockets, nice flare and length). I grab those for the nitty gritty jobs where fuller coverage is crucial.

My ideal apron would have pop up wipes built into the straps though... I do tuck things into the waist tie, but 5mo ds is always rubbing his head/nose into my shoulder or "urping" breastmilk goo down my side and it would be awesome to have the ability to just sort of "pop up" a clean strap.

· Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
My apron I had DH get me for Christmas is wonderful. I cannot stand anything hanging from my neck (can't wear necklaces or anything), so it's one that crosses over the back and buttons on the sides. It covers my whole front, I always splash water on my tummy washing dishes so anything less would be pointless. It's cute and feminine, white and fitted, with sturdy lace details. It's got a pocket. http://roses-and-teacups.com/aprons.php the rose battenburg one there.

eta: it's pretty easy to push aside to nurse in too.
I love the linked aprons, but dang! A $69 would be about 3x more than the clothes I was protecting, lol. I guess that's why my fave aprons were gifts.

· Registered
5,274 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
I love the linked aprons, but dang! A $69 would be about 3x more than the clothes I was protecting, lol. I guess that's why my fave aprons were gifts.

It wasn't that much...I think $29, which is a lot still but I only need the one apron.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
features my perfect (functional) apron would have:

-full apron
-long enough ties to tie generously in front of me after crossing around from behind. (I then tuck a dishtowel into my apron strings) they also should not need ironing.
-heavy-duty, so spills don't go through, and can take a bruising
-skinny pockets. FAR more useful than a square pocket would be two skinny pockets, one long and 1-3 short (the long for a wooden spoon, the short for eating spoons, forks, etc.) when at home I SO miss my chef-coat, solely for it's spoon arm pocket.
-non-adjustable (but perfect for me, not as big as many are, which makes the apron start around mid-boob
, custom length?) neck-"tie". adjustable, whether knots or d-rings, catch in my curly hair.
-longish. knee length please for messy kitchen use.
-big "skirt" piece, and cornered (not rounded corners) (use the corners to create a basket to put produce from a future garden in, and big enough for LOTS of produce.)
-machine washable (obviously)

It would be made of a cute or pretty medium to heavy weight fabric, with no ruffles, rickrack, or the like etc. I want it to feel very functional.

*This is for a functional apron. I will admit to having changed my (cute) functional apron for a cute clean half apron after cooking the meal for serving it.
only on special occasions though. and then I take that off to eat. wasteful, yes, but it feels so fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.